TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to buy new tires when I baught my truck. I had some help buying the tires, but they had to be the stock size. I went when 31x10.50 BFG MT's. I love the tires around town and off-road as well. I want a better stance and to stop rubbing some of the time.

I was thinking of only putting a 2" suspension on there because I don't want to have that big lift small tire look to my truck. Also, I haven't really seen any tacomas with 31's lifted. I see pictures of trucks all the time but it's hard to always know what they have to know what looks good. I have the TRD kit on my truck as well as ADD - so I know about the CV Angles being more important to watch. I'm thinking with 75K on the stock shocks I would have to replacing them soon anyways so a suspension lift makes more sense to me then a body lift.

So guys - What are some ideas? 1" , 2" or 3"? I'm probably leaning more towards a spacer then a coilover because of money. College student and waiter here. I have talked to Dave about buying a lift, but still have problems on size basically. Are there any differences in Dave's lifts verses other spacer lifts out there?

Thanks
Chris

·
Split it open-Eat it out!
659 Posts
a good way and relatively inexpensive is to get some OME 881's plus a longer shackle in the rear. If you want to lift more later on you can add a spacer to the 881's.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I got 3" spacers from toytec and like them alot. It was easy enough I did it myself in a day. I still have the factory wheels/tires and I don't think I have the tires too small. I bet yours would look good with the 3" and supposedly that is still not to bad on your cv joints if your a 4x4.

Jason

·
Registered
836 Posts
What do you want to do with your truck? If you don't wheel that much and are worried about $$$, then a 1" spacer up front will solve your rubbing problems and level the truck out with no lift in the rear and cost very little. If you want to be set up to go to a larger tire down the road, a 2-3" lift will clear 32" tires. I'ld recomend skipping the spacer and saving your pennies for a good coilover lift in that case. You will be glad you did. If you want to clear a 33" tire, most will tell you you need 6 inches for no rubbing, but there's always someone who claims he's running 33's with only 3" and no rubbing what-so-ever. Sounds like you've got quite a bit of miles left on your tires, so if I were in your shoes, I'ld just get a 1" spacer and new front shocks and save up for coilovers and bigger tires for when the current ones wear out.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I think that I saw a toyota with a 3inch suspension and 31s when I was out the other day but I'm not sure. I was in a hurry and didn't have time to stop.

BTW - What size tires are you running on your new tacoma now with that lift?

Chris

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What do you think about a 1" spacer and 1" RB BL? I'm normally really against a body lift because I had a 3" on my last truck, but the 1" doesn't seem like that bad of an idea and it would solve the rubbing issues I'm having with the nobbier tires.

Any thaughts on that setup? Anyone have a 1" roger brown body lift?

Chris

·
Registered
73 Posts
you could go with a 2.5" spacer and a 1.5" aal or shackle. your truck would sit level and still look cool with the 31's. in the future you could go up to a 32" tire and be fine. if you go with a spacer get some better shocks while your there. i have the bilstein HD's and 5100's. the shocks will really smooth out the spacers and aal. i did this basic lift and had a shop do it and the total price was like $980.
toy-tec and cornfed both get good reviews here and the is no difference in the spacer really. go for the best price. personally i thought my stock rear leafs were shit so i went the aal route to beef them up.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I've got 2-1/2 inches of lift, with coilovers. You don't want to go much more than that without some kind of diff drop/carrier. But that is where the 5-6" stuff comes in. I don't rub with 265/75/16 on my truck, they are 32-1/2 high. I agree with Breathgood. Save up for a coilover, and just get a 1-2" spacer for the front. I don't know if the spacers are all of a type where you have to take apart the factory spring set, or if there is one that goes on top of that assembly instead. Anyone out there know?? I'd replace the shock with a new one, nothing special, until I saved enough money. You'll be happier later.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I don't care for body lifts, and I really think a 1" spacer would adequately take care of any rubbing issue you are having. Especially since so many guys run 31x10.5's without any problems. A body lift is cheap and will definately solve clearence problems for 31's, but opens up whole others cans of worms.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I'm definately thinking about going with the spacer and aal. I was thinking about the shackle but that would mean I would have to redo my exhaust. I don't have the money to do that right now.

How much did your Bilsteins cost you?

Chris

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do believe that the spacer lifts go on top of the assembly. I think if I'm correct you take off the top plate and place the spacer between the coil and the top plate. Don't hold me to that but that is what I have gathered from talking with everyone. It's better then the old way of placing one on the bottom. I don't need coilovers and plus I don't have the money.

Chris

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah. My old truck had a 3inch body lift. I ended up having some body damage because of the lift. A couple stress marks and dimples. I wasn't a happy person. I don't want to go the body lift route again.

Chris

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
coil slap

Tacoma4Life06 said:
I had to buy new tires when I baught my truck. I had some help buying the tires, but they had to be the stock size. I went when 31x10.50 BFG MT's. I love the tires around town and off-road as well. I want a better stance and to stop rubbing some of the time.

I was thinking of only putting a 2" suspension on there because I don't want to have that big lift small tire look to my truck. Also, I haven't really seen any tacomas with 31's lifted. I see pictures of trucks all the time but it's hard to always know what they have to know what looks good. I have the TRD kit on my truck as well as ADD - so I know about the CV Angles being more important to watch. I'm thinking with 75K on the stock shocks I would have to replacing them soon anyways so a suspension lift makes more sense to me then a body lift.

So guys - What are some ideas? 1" , 2" or 3"? I'm probably leaning more towards a spacer then a coilover because of money. College student and waiter here. I have talked to Dave about buying a lift, but still have problems on size basically. Are there any differences in Dave's lifts verses other spacer lifts out there?

Thanks
Chris

hey Chris,
man I'd say get some OME's, cause if you put spacers on your TRD coils, you're gonna have some bad coil slap, mainly w/ the 3" spacers. You don't wanna do 3" spacers though, cause that'd just look silly. If I were you, I'd go 2" and 32's. But, seriously get some OME coils, that's what I'm probably gonna do for my 96'. But, then again my coils are sagging like a mother! Good luck, Wes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
7 Participants
wslytoy
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing