TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 3" spacer lift with AAL and I was wondering how hard these are to install. It should be here friday and I want to put in saturday so my truck is ready for a wheeling trip on sunday. I know I need to get a spring compressor but other than that is this a hard install? Any other special tools I need? 2002 ext 4x4 tacoma

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
just time, i think it took 3-4 hours maybe to do the entire lift on mine

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Just time, patience and the proper tools. IMO, take the CO's to pep boys and have them install the coils. If you are going to do them yourself, be VERY careful, or you lose your fingers.

·
Registered
89 Posts
you can do it yourself. but i do agree you need to be very careful with the spring compressor. 4 hrs is reasonable if everything goes perfect, but since there is always some snag you hit (i.e. shackles that DON'T want to go on in my experience) allow a couple extra hours. if you get started early in the day, you should be done and ready to go break in your "new" rig the next day. somewhere in there, you should schedule an allignment as well.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Like the others said, I would consider having a shop compress the springs for you to install the spacer. I had a local tire shop do it for me for $20 - well worth the money - but I understand from some of the other posts around here that $30-$40 is more the norm - still worth the money in my opinion. Just make sure that they re-attach the top plate so that the top bolt holes and lower shock eyelet bolt hole all line up when you go to re-install them. You might want to take a pic of the stock coilover assembly so you remember how the top and bottom holes line up.

When you go to re-install the coilovers, it helps to disconnect the anti-sway bar and to use a big pry bar to lower the control arm assembly far enough to fit them in. I've heard of some using the stock bottle jack upside down within the fenderwell to lower the control arm assembly.

As for the AAL, be sure to use some good c-clamps on the leaf pack to make it easier to run the centering bolt through them. If the AAL is too long and you want to run it on the bottom of the leaf pack, it might hit the stock spring clamps, requiring you to pry/chisel them off. Otherwise, it should be fairly easy.

As always, it helps to have a buddy or two lending a hand.

Hope this helps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts