TTORA Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

I am going to lift up my buddy's 99 v6 trd with some spacers. I was wondering what the best way to do this for a smoothest ride possible would be. I am looking to do either a 2.5 or 3" kit and using some V6 non trd coils. For this should a diff drop be used and/or extended brake lines in the rear with a AAL.

If i go with V6 coils off a non trd taco will they all fit or just certain years..

TIA
Brian

·
Registered
168 Posts
Smoothest i would go with the OME setup with 881 coils and the soft set shocks. My spacer rides pretty rough. New shocks and coils fomr them are around 300$ and if i had to do mine over again I would go with them.IMHO

If you still decide on spacers make sure you get the ones that go into the strut and coil assembly...not the ones you just bolt on. I would get the newest springs possible as the will ride and give the best lift. I didnt use a diif drop on mine but there are many that do. All you need inthe back is to raise the BPV bracket how ever much you lift the rear. Its the thing connected to your rear axle that the brake line is in. You can make it for 5$ out of a piece of metal.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
lift

brianvmsu said:
hello,

I am going to lift up my buddy's 99 v6 trd with some spacers. I was wondering what the best way to do this for a smoothest ride possible would be. I am looking to do either a 2.5 or 3" kit and using some V6 non trd coils. For this should a diff drop be used and/or extended brake lines in the rear with a AAL.

If i go with V6 coils off a non trd taco will they all fit or just certain years..

TIA
Brian
Hey Brian,
if he's gonna be runnin' anything bigger than a 2.5" spacer, he's gonna need the diff drop. I went thru 2 cv boots, and then I learned my lesson. The diff drop isn't a garuntee though. Spacers aren't gonna ride smooth, it's the nature of the beast. About the only thing that'll ride good is some OME's or 1 of the many adjustable coilover kits. It's not necessarily a bad idea if you went ahead and installed a longer brake hose in the rear, steel braided! Good luck, Wes

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
brianvmsu said:
hello,

TIA
Brian
if a smooth ride is your goal forget using a spacer kit. It may be the cheapest way to lift but it yields the worst ride.

the "diff drop" or more accurately, the 'front diff pivot' is a complete waste of time and $25.

longer rear shocks will be needed but a longer brake line won't be necessary unless you lift the rear more than 1.5-2". Some, when installing a lift will level out the truck using 1-1.5" less lift for the rear to compensate for the tail high stock stance. If you need a rear line go with a 24" ss. http://www.xtremecrawlers.com/ is a member and has great prices.

you will also need a BPV (brake proportioning valve) extension bracket.
http://www.norcalttora.com/~chris/mods/BPV/photos/photo_3.html

As suggested, OME makes a great kit.

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
doesnt the 99 trd have manual hubs? cuz mine does

·
Registered
55 Posts
I lifted mine with spacers and yeah the ride is rough. As for the brake line in the rear I would go ahead and get a longer one. Mine was long enough but it streched and I didn't feel comfortable with tension on a brake line.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
tanKoma said:
doesnt the 99 trd have manual hubs? cuz mine does
some do, some don't but the last year for manual hubs was '00.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
hytenor said:
the "diff drop" or more accurately, the 'front diff pivot' is a complete waste of time and $25.
I will agree that it is a waste of money considering it is 2 1" spacers and longer bolts. But how is it a waste of time? Can save your boots...well make them last longer.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Kyota said:
I will agree that it is a waste of money considering it is 2 1" spacers and longer bolts. But how is it a waste of time? Can save your boots...well make them last longer.
IF this mod actually changed the CV angle enough to make a difference in the boot fins touching I'd say why not. But...it doesn't unless you use really thick pucks (more than 3/4") and doing so creates other problems like screwing up your front pinion angle and putting too much pressure on the rear mount bolt and bushing.

One member actually tried to measure the difference...he had to use a micrometer to get a reading ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yeah the "diff pivot" is stupid, I thought it looked rigged when I did it, It would have been one thing if all three bolts would have had spacers, but this is not the case. I would rather replace boots then to have someone changing the oil on my truck notice that I used stacked washers on the differential!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts