TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i am in the fence about whether i should do the regular all around 4" lift, or the longtravel setup? Wich would be more efective while doing some moderat trails? what would you guys go with?

·
Registered
388 Posts
For moderate trails the 4in would be good. LT is better but higher priced. 4" for you. :2cents:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but does the LT lift you at all?

·
Registered
388 Posts
It will but it will depend mostly on your coilovers, where you set them at.

·
Registered
591 Posts
just SAS it and be done with it.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
If you have to ask this question, you haven't 'wheeled enough to need either.

Throw some 33x10.50's on the factory rims and call it good. If you REALLY feel the need to spend long-travel kind of money, it would be better spent on armor and lockers (in that order).

Oh, and YES, 33's will fit on a '95 with no lift and no rubbing.

·
Registered
286 Posts
i say don't lift it and first go drive your truck on the trail!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
first off i do plenty of wheeling, and yes i know that an sas would be the shit, but i am not sure that i can come up with that kind of money. Now i know that an LT is alot of money but i belive that its downey that puts a kit out for around 2 grand. The 4in lift goes for like 1,400 installed. and i had no clue that i could fit 33''s with no rubbing. I am all ready getting a rear locker installed, and getting sliders due to the last trip, in wich i posted pics. but i thank everyone for actual advice and not just saying get out there and learn. I am asking for some sound advice as to weather you guys would go with lift or LT.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and its a 94

·
Registered
286 Posts
and LT like the total chaos kit isn't for moderate trails! they're for high speed dune jumpings and such...go solid..

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have seen the sas kit for like 1,200 but then i need the axle. how much for that? and then i have not got a welder.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
no way lt is only 2k, no way no how.
and its worthless without the rear done as well. and if you really use it for fast driving you need a cage for safety and so your cab doesnt falla part...and then...well you get the idea.

i agree with 33s and wheel the shit out of it!

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Nice color - looks familiar!

BTW - the rear glass on these things is a dealer only item and costs $427.19 (unless you get lucky enough to find one in a junkyard, but they get snatched up QUICK), and if you 'wheel, you WILL break them.

Spend the money on armor/protection.

·
Registered
532 Posts
x2 on the armor. all these guys talk about sas like it can be done over the weekend in your garage for 300 bucks. truth is its not gonna happen and completely unecessary if you are still at an armor-less level of wheeling. if an SAS is out of your price range then so is long travel. long travel is as expensive and difficult of an undertaking as doing a solid axle. IMO, get armor and a coilover lift, tires, and lockers if you need them in that order. you will be very happy with that kind of setup. the majority of the guys in this club run setups like this and can do ALOT with them.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
purity said:
IMO, get armor and a coilover lift, tires, and lockers if you need them in that order. you will be very happy with that kind of setup. the majority of the guys in this club run setups like this and can do ALOT with them.
Ummm - dude a coilover lift is going to be BIG bucks for his truck (he has torsion bars). But for the rest of it - yeah.

That's the setup I have, and it will take me anywhere I want to go with something close to a daily driver. The hardest trail I've done is Moab Rim, and it was right at the capabilities of the truck and/or my driving skill. I'm going to Moab again this weekend to do some trails I haven't done before, hopefully, I'll have an even better understanding of the truck's and my capabilities!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
LT is too much for you, to get it right, its nice for trails you can get great flex and movement out of them, but like 4grand or more to get it right. The 4in lift kit basically allows you to clear 33x12.5s, no travel added, and it makes you tippy, which gets you body panels higher to clear shit. You can fit 33s with no lift,Look at tc's truck, if you get different rims and a 2in body with some new springs and bj spacers you can fit the 12.5s with minimal rubbing.

sliders and skid plates, lift it then lock it.

SAS is when you are breaking your axles or flopping your truck because of not having enough flex, a buddy of mine can run all the trails i run with his stock yoter on 31s. With body armor youll feel invincible :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
9 Participants
Son of Mayhem
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing