TTORA Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 04 tacoma 4x4. I have been reading all the information I can on the different lift kits. I have browsed the members truck section and really like the look of the 3 inch lift with 33's...but then I hear that 33's with a 3" lift will rub???? Also any benefit with staying with a 16" rim or going to a 15" rim. I also found a truck pic with 3" revtek lift with 285-75-16...would this rub? One more question, I just received my performance products catalog with the silver tacoma on the front...how many inch lift and tire/wheel combo does that look like. Thanks and sorry for all the noobie ?'s.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
with the pinchweld cut off/smashed flat, the right offset, a good alighment it is possible... i just haven't that luck with my truck.. even at 4.5" of lift. But then again I need a GOOD alignment. Donahoe says its possible with 3" of lift with 285's. Good luck.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i would reccomend staying away from 33's until you do your homework on them. You are going to be in for alot more than you think if you get 33's for example regearing (which is not cheap) and a pretty big cut into your gas mileage... I would reccomend staying with 32's, but its your truck... As for the 285's and a 3" lift. You would need the 3" lift and at least a 1" body kit to clear the 33"s, you may be able to with the 3" lift, but you will get minor rubbing on road... and offroad you will be rubbing like crazy.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
JustinT said:
is a 285x75x16 a 33" tire, or between 32 and 33?
that is a 33" tire depending on brand.

you can get away with only 3" with the 285s but you'll still rub on occasion off road, even with correctly back-spaced 8" rims. You can also run them with stock rims and 1/4" wheel spacers but you'll still rub some.

If you have a problem with any rubbing at all you'll need 6+".

and, as suggested, you will need to regear.

·
Registered
24 Posts
JustinT said:
is a 285x75x16 a 33" tire, or between 32 and 33?
a true 285 (like the BFG Allterrain) will stand almost 34" tall. This causes them even more gearing issue than typical 33's like a 33x12.5r15.

Typically it's been my experience that with careful backspacing on the rims you can fit a 285 on only 3" of lift, but it depends on the brand of tire...the true height 285's (like the BFG) that stand 33.5 are tough to fit, but some of the smaller brand 285's will fit on only 3".

One other thing to consider would be a small bodylift (1 or 2") combined with a 3" for a total of about 4 or 5"...then you'd definately clear.

Oh, and one last thing...gotta plug the www.CornfedSuspension.com

Let us know if there is any way we can help.

Thanks,
David

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
CornbredNE said:
a true 285 (like the BFG Allterrain) will stand almost 34" tall. This causes them even more gearing issue than typical 33's like a 33x12.5r15.

Typically it's been my experience that with careful backspacing on the rims you can fit a 285 on only 3" of lift, but it depends on the brand of tire...the true height 285's (like the BFG) that stand 33.5 are tough to fit, but some of the smaller brand 285's will fit on only 3".

One other thing to consider would be a small bodylift (1 or 2") combined with a 3" for a total of about 4 or 5"...then you'd definately clear.

Oh, and one last thing...gotta plug the www.CornfedSuspension.com

Let us know if there is any way we can help.

Thanks,
David
Most brands, including BFGs and MTRs show 33.1" on their spec sheets; have they changed the height lately?
Dunlops show 32.7"

haven't seen you post in a while wazup? ;)

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hytenor: the pic that I linked to, can you tell if it looks like a 3" kit only or a body lift too?

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
JustinT said:
hytenor: the pic that I linked to, can you tell if it looks like a 3" kit only or a body lift too?
that looks like Bryan's truck and if so he has a 3" bl and OME 882s.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My truck has the Donahoe Racing 3" coil over, and i dont have too much rubbing, the only thing that i had to cut was the plastic tab in the wheel well... heres a link http://www.cardomain.com/id/midwest_tacoma

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
MidwestTaco95 said:
My truck has the Donahoe Racing 3" coil over, and i dont have too much rubbing, the only thing that i had to cut was the plastic tab in the wheel well... heres a link http://www.cardomain.com/id/midwest_tacoma
I wouldn't expect Hoes cranked to 3" to flex enough to rub much ;)

·
Registered
169 Posts
hytenor said:
I wouldn't expect Hoes cranked to 3" to flex enough to rub much ;)
This Is true...LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts