TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sent by my friend who drives a Honda civic.....so please help!
this is his reply to me....
"A body lift will lift the body
but leave a gap between your bumpers and body of the truck. A suspension
lift will raise the frame along with the body. And you know that tires will
raise the whole truck. If you want to do it in stages, do the suspension
lift first and then try a little body lift. When you do a body lift then
you can put bigger tires on. I think, but ask a professional first, a 3 to
4 inch suspension lift first...then a 2 to 3 inch body lift......the some
tires about 30 something inches would be desirable for your truck. Either
way it goes you in a raised truck equals super sexy." _Jones

So like i have told you before, i am still new and still don't know what to do first.. if he is right, please say so, if not, please help me out. I have been going through the forums, and reading alot, so please be nice!
Franchesca
:newbie:

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
First off, this should be in the newbie folder.

Secondly, you should begin your modifications with the end in mind.

Why do you want to lift the truck (a prerunner at that)?

In general, suspension modification is preferable to body lifts. Suspension setups generally fall into two catagories:

1. Suspension systems designed for performance, where any lift is merely a byproduct (OME, adjustable coilovers in front; leaf packs in the rear)

2.Cosmetic "lift kits" (spacers, drop brackets, in front; blocks, AAL, shackles in rear)

You will always get what you pay for, and it is always better to do it right the first time, even if you have to defer your gratification.

So first, figure out what you are going to really use your truck for, and modify it appropriately.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
slice of sarcasm

Thanks for the info....
Look, I know damn well that my truck is a pre-runner. And judging by some of the forum i have been reading that pre-runners are just capable of having a good time. Yes, I want my truck lifted and why not right?
I am trying to learn more and you all seem to know what your talking about, so can a girl catch a break!

Franchesca

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
Thanks for the info....
Look, I know damn well that my truck is a pre-runner. And judging by some of the forum i have been reading that pre-runners are just capable of having a good time. Yes, I want my truck lifted and why not right?
I am trying to learn more and you all seem to know what your talking about, so can a girl catch a break!

Franchesca
He gave you good info, use it. If you want to do it the way that the person told you, go for it.

You can do a suspension lift first, and see how you like it.

You should already have 31 inch tires, so the 30 inch is dumb. If you get bigger tires, you sacrifice power, and gas mileage.

Don't get buthurt about people giving you different types of advice. We are here to help...........unless you turn into a pooface with an attitude :D

A body lift is ok, but not neccesary for the prerunners.

·
Registered
978 Posts
First off, this should be in the newbie folder.

Secondly, you should begin your modifications with the end in mind.

Why do you want to lift the truck (a prerunner at that)?

In general, suspension modification is preferable to body lifts. Suspension setups generally fall into two catagories:

1. Suspension systems designed for performance, where any lift is merely a byproduct (OME, adjustable coilovers in front; leaf packs in the rear)

2.Cosmetic "lift kits" (spacers, drop brackets, in front; blocks, AAL, shackles in rear)

You will always get what you pay for, and it is always better to do it right the first time, even if you have to defer your gratification.

So first, figure out what you are going to really use your truck for, and modify it appropriately.

this should be saved and posted up top for all to see who enter this site.

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
Thanks for the info....

Franchesca
Easy there... stop barking and you might hear what people are saying.

It was a legitimate question.

Why do you want to lift your truck?
  • Do you want to accommodate longer travel?
  • Do you have a certain size tire you want to run?
  • Does the terrain you wheel warrant raising your center of gravity?
  • Is it just for looks?
Yes, prerunners can have a good time... but what exactly does that mean to you?

One of the best trucks I ever had was a '77 F150 2WD with a screaming 302 (289 heads, 3/4 cam, headers, etc.), cut & flipped front beams, lincoln locked rear and 38.5x11.5 TSL's... the thing was unstoppable in the swamp.

Can I use it where I live & wheel now? No.

So back to the question- what do you hope to accomplish? What are you really going to use your truck for?

Begin with the end in mind.

·
Registered
89 Posts
1) yes, a suspension lift will raise the frame and obviously the body as well, allowing for increased ground clearance. You will be able to fit bigger tires with suspension lift.

2) A body lift will only lift the body of the truck and not the suspension components. It only allows you to fit bigger tires and does not increase ground clearance.

The comment about the truck being lifted to be "super sexy." Again, just like Valkyrie asked, what is your intention when lifting your truck? If it is solely for looking super sexy, then search around for appropriate (i.e. not the best) parts. If you want to actually have a capable truck off-road, then you need to look into better, functional parts. Your friend had the basic ideas down, but you need to ask yourself what you want out of your truck and then we can steer you in the right direction (and not to beat a dead horse, but search around on the forums and you'll find a ton of info that will help you out.) Happy wheeling!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Gents

Ok, so maybe i sounded a little butt hurt, but I am not, I just trying to get a straight answer without feeling like an asshole. Like i have said before, I wanted to get get my truck lifted to do a little off-roading, not all the big dog stuff that 4x4 can do, but i figure i start with this and upgrade! I really could give a shit about being sexy, i don't need a truck for that :p! But seriously, thanks for your help, i just want straight answers, so that i don't get taken at the shop and pay out the ass for it!

Resting easy.....
Thanks guys
Franchesca

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I love people who come on here, ask questions, then get butt hurt by opinions they asked for in the first place. If you ask a question, expect opinionated answers, if the person answering the question is simply fucking with you, then feel free to throw shit like the chimps at the zoo. As I always say: Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one...and mine usually stinks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
THANK YOU GENTLEMEN!! I got my answer.. Quick off the subject....
I want to post my pictures..how do I do that!!

Franchesca

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
First off, this should be in the " News/Error Reporting/Suggestions/Help" section...

Secondly, a simple search would give you 10,000 threads on the same subject.

Finally, if you just looked in the folder, you would see the last time someone asked this: http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61903

and now you know more about how it works... :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:shiner: Thanks Valkyrie....quick on the draw...

LOVE,
FRANCHESCA

1 - 14 of 14 Posts