TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there,
I just bought a 98 tacoma 4x4. It's been lifted and has larger tires. I'd actually like to drop it back down and maybe switch out the large wheels. It vibrates a bit on the highway and my mechanic says it's the big tires. How hard is it to take a lift out? I probably sound like a whimp huh?
Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
517 Posts
you probably just need to balance the tires and that might fix the vibes, along as you have the stock parts it shouldnt be to hard to take the lift off, i guess it really depends on your experiance with a wrench

·
Registered
394 Posts
What kind of lift is it?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Get the tires balanced. That should clear up your problem. I would go somewhere besides your usual mechanic, since he thinks the "big tires" are causing the problem (looks like 31x10.50's). Since you bought it lifted, I'd also get the front end aligned just to be safe.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Don't forget to check out your driveshaft and driveline angles as well.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
TacoTom said:
If its just a spacer lift its not bad. If its a drop bracket lift, then its a different story.
Oh that depends on what kind of spacer he might have... It could be a shitty top loader... And all Bracket drops are not bad... They're just not great...

To the OP:

Those tires are not that big and it sounds to me like it's as the others have stated... Get them properly Balanced... And there could be other things mechanical causing the issue as well... Tie rod ends... Worn Rack bushings... Worn wheel Bearings... Ball Joints and so forth...
But start with getting them properly balanced... Tacoma's are a little finicky at times... Find somone who can balance them using the bracket that mounts thru the lugs instead of the wheels hub center hole... You need to rule out the tires and wheels and then start looking at other things...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the reply. The lift looks like a spacer in the back and maybe they put bigger springs on front- is that common, are original springs expensive? Do you think someone would want to trade original tires and wheels for mine, they've got to be worth a lot, the rubber is good.
-B

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
In the back you will either have lift blocks, longer shackles, or add-a-leafs, assuming you don't have aftermarket leaf springs like deavers. I'm guessing the front will either be a spacer (probably) or OME springs, also assuming you don't have adjustable coilovers on it. If you take a picture of the suspension we can tell you exactly what you have.

You can usually get stock suspension parts in the Classifieds section on this board.

If you can get it to stop vibrating what is the purpose of going back to stock?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts