TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my roommate has a 06 Taco. He wants to get one of the cheap ass lifts that use coil spacers. I am trying to convince him that it is a waste of money. Anyone else that can help explain the downside to cheap ass lifts please join in and help me hit the point home. He wants to build a semi serious off roading tacoma. please help me teach him the importance of a GOOD suspension. All tacoma owners are welcome to reply.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
:bitchslap :buttkick: OUCH!!!

·
Registered
883 Posts
excellent call search button. ahh... your a newb, i don't think u'll get picked on too badly though.:p

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
So my roommate has a 06 Taco. He wants to get one of the cheap ass lifts that use coil spacers. I am trying to convince him that it is a waste of money. Anyone else that can help explain the downside to cheap ass lifts please join in and help me hit the point home. He wants to build a semi serious off roading tacoma. please help me teach him the importance of a GOOD suspension. All tacoma owners are welcome to reply.
Like its been said search.. you will find the "weakass" spacers are cheap, but parent crap.... they do an excellent job of complimenting the OEM suspension, if used correctly...

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
The Old Man Emu suspension is a nice compromise between jamming a spacer in just to acheive lift and Breaking the bank on a fully adjustable coilover setup.

For on road comfort and mild to moderate offroad performance the OME is the best non adjustable suspension on the market.

Jacque

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
The thing I like about spacers is that you maintain the OEM ride, which I really like. And for mild/mod trail riding I dont need a $$ CO or OME coils. The OME coils provide too much lift for my taste. Adding lift to these trucks only detracts from droop, and makes you think you can run a larger tire, when in fact it doesnt help at all. I went with 2 spacers per side on mine, a 1" spring spacer.. .which is small enough the ride wasnt effected, and a .75" top plate spacer. The nice thing about top plate spacers is they add travel equal to the lift, so .75" in my case. So I gained .75" of travel, that occurs on the droop side, but is realized on the compression side due to the lift, I also lost 1" of droop from the spring spacer, so after the fact I have 1.75" more actual compression and 1" less droop.. not bad for 1.75" lift. On any other lift (OME or $$CO) you would get 1.75" more compression and 1.75" less droop, so I like that fact. The other reason I went with spacers is I only wanted to level the truck. I wanted to level it mainly for looks, but it also brings the running ground clearance up, but the min stays the same as with any lift short of a bracket lift. I also didnt want to have to touch the rear because of all the vibration/driveshaft issues I read about here. And for my use I need airbags, so had to stay OEM out back. The TRD susp is HD enough for my needs, and realistilcy for most peoples. The ride is great, and I much prefer the look of the leveled truck, and honestly it will go a anywhere and do anything I need it to just as well as it would with the OME or $$CO, but thats all in the user. The $$CO's would be a waste of money for me, for one I would be annoyed as hell when it came time to rebuld them, and after one winter here they would no longer be adjustible, and this isnt even a salt state.

If your buddy goes higher than 2" he will need to go to about 3" and get the UCA from TC or Camburg, even at 1.75" on my truck the camber was maxed out, which would be much worse at 2 or 2.5" and the UCA's are designed for 3".

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Personally I think the factory ride is horrible. The springs up front are way too soft for as much weight is in the front. The porpoising on hard breaking is very pronounced and the body roll is not much better.If you are planning on adding a winch or bumper forget about factory springs altogether, they are simply too soft.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Personally I think the factory ride is horrible. The springs up front are way too soft for as much weight is in the front. The porpoising on hard breaking is very pronounced and the body roll is not much better.If you are planning on adding a winch or bumper forget about factory springs altogether, they are simply too soft.
Really, even with the TRD springs? I know they are good bit stiffer than the springs in my 03 runner... Soft isnt how I would describe them, but havent used them with a winch yet, I do know that it doesn't seem to porpoise on me.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Really, even with the TRD springs? I know they are good bit stiffer than the springs in my 03 runner... Soft isnt how I would describe them, but havent used them with a winch yet, I do know that it doesn't seem to porpoise on me.

Yes even the TRD springs are too soft.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Yes even the TRD springs are too soft.
Guess I wont be upgrading my springs anytime soon, I don't want to go any stiffer, as it is this thing corners on rails, even with the DC weight.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Really, even with the TRD springs?
HAHAHA!!! He said "TRD" like they are something special!!

Here's my :2cents: ...TRD is Toyota's way of marketing to a customer who is so gullible as to purchase a product that is of equal value and utilitly as non-TRD. (for a higher price)

TRD is supposed to be like the upgrade from the basic base model..when in reality..it only offers nice material for the interior. They dont give a rats ass about suspension..(I have several friends that work for Toyota-sales..mechanics..etc.) I mean sure..they use Bilstein shocks..but they are the bottom end of Bilstein's shock family..

Me personally..I'd go buy a non-TRD..with the 4.0 engine..and build it up from there..

Another example..Honda Civics..it doesn't matter which one you buy..it's goin to suck..

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
HAHAHA!!! He said "TRD" like they are something special!!

Here's my :2cents: ...TRD is Toyota's way of marketing to a customer who is so gullible as to purchase a product that is of equal value and utilitly as non-TRD. (for a higher price)

TRD is supposed to be like the upgrade from the basic base model..when in reality..it only offers nice material for the interior. They dont give a rats ass about suspension..(I have several friends that work for Toyota-sales..mechanics..etc.) I mean sure..they use Bilstein shocks..but they are the bottom end of Bilstein's shock family..

Me personally..I'd go buy a non-TRD..with the 4.0 engine..and build it up from there..

Another example..Honda Civics..it doesn't matter which one you buy..it's goin to suck..
Personally I like the ride and spring rate of the progressive springs, which are different in addition to the shocks. Yes its OEM, but its still a decent setup. And go ahead and get the non-trd, good luck adding the A-TRAC that came with mine... Most of the options in the TRD OR are interior stuff, that I would have bought anyways.. so the locker, progressive springs, bilstein, inverter, compass, outside temp and alum rims cost me about $1200 bucks... not a bad deal at all. Yeah so I bought the most expensive taco you can, but I would do it again. And in my region on DC 4x4 auto you can either get TRD Sport or TRD OR, there are no models (except base) that don't have a TRD package, and a sport is useless to me. And a base model wouldnt get me any where, as some things are better from the factory, like the tow package, side curtain airbags, and the JBL stereo is pretty good for OEM. Sure there might be better suspension stuff out there, but OEM is pretty darn good and will suffice for many users, on and off road... just because hoes are the fad here does not mean they are the best for every application... OEM springs and spacers have always and will always be a very viable option. For most peoples use the bling CO's are just that bling, you dont get increased travel, and you dont get more tire clearance, and unless you launch your truck or have a very heavy front bumper you most likely don't need them... not to mention the added maintenance of a 1K set of CO's.

And all that from a guy running a 3" spacer kit, with the TRD package.....

I like spacer kits, but 3" of spacer lift is silly in my book, you remove most your droop and preload your springs for a horrible ride... mild spacer lifts are great, but 3" is a bit much... And why, you dont have any more room for tires than I do, and my ride will be a ton better, my CV's last longer, as do the BJ's, and alignment specs are a lot better too.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Been there done that. I agree with AH64. His lift is the best of all the compromises (that's written with the best of intentions). Even the Hoes are a compromise in some ways. There is no magic bullet when it comes to suspension lifts. I have run the spacers at 3.0 lift, with TRD progressive coils and I am now running Hoe CO's and really like them. The spacer lift was a tad harsh riding, but then again, I had it set at 3 inches. If the Bil 5100 series had been available when I did my lift, I probably would have used them with the OME coils. The TRD package offers a lot of gadgets and for some folks it is the ultimate. Had I been more educated on Toyotas at the time, I would have ordered an SR5 and modded it with the money I saved. Bottom line; run what you want to run.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Yep... every person is differnt and there are many options, somtimes the best on isnt the most $$.... I get annoyed when people say all spacer lifts are crap... they aren't, its the amount and intended use... Be smart about it and they will work fine, or get the $$ CO's, there are some like mojave that use them as intended, and thats the correct answer....

·
Registered
407 Posts
"Semi-serious off roading?" What's that? Is streetability a consideration? The mix-n-match, grrranimals approach to lifts never worked for me on the street, and I found off road capability vs. streetability to be inversely proportional from those perspectives. The higher his expectations for one, the lower they need to be for the other unless he's got deep pockets. There's lot more to increasing off road capabilities than just a lift.

I disagree where the TRD OR suspension system is concerned, which pains me because you were a significant player in my decision to go with the OME HD system (Thanks!). However, I understand your criticisms and can relate from the standpoint of being a truck guy. Although my Tacoma did not handle like my F-350 Super Duty dually, it didn't exhibit any excessive dive or lean characteristics you mentioned.

As for the OME system, I'm in full agreement. I consider it perfection for the off roading I do as well as for its streetability. With the 2" front and 3" rear lift I'm still gonna get hung up and have to drag my truck over shit, but it supports the bumper/winch combo to accomplish it.

Proof of drivability perfection comes from my wife. If I don't hide the keys and beat her to them, it'll be gone when I get up. Only problem is she can't answer people's questions about the truck when she stops to gas it up.
:D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.