TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here,
I am going with a camburg/deaver setup on my completely stocker tacoma DD....its got 50K in it..with original bald tires...

my question:
I want to go with a tire size with my new lift that will not rob to much power and will not rub....BFG All T's

Can you recommend tire size please

·
Registered
41 Posts
I also have a 01 Dcab and just did a Fabtech 3" lift with shackles in the back and went with 265/75R16. I should be able to post some pics Sun or Mon. These tires are probably the largest you can get with out loosing some power and having to do some small mods to keep the tires from rubbing. I hear that 285's you will get some rubbing and some power loss. IMO.

I have seen guys with 255/85R16 and I don't think they have the rubbing issue but I am not sure about the power issue. It has about the same diameter as a 33" but is more narrow. ExpeditionsWest.com has the 255's on his tacoma.

·
Registered
465 Posts
razor said:
New here,
I am going with a camburg/deaver setup on my completely stocker tacoma DD....its got 50K in it..with original bald tires...

my question:
I want to go with a tire size with my new lift that will not rob to much power and will not rub....BFG All T's

Can you recommend tire size please
I just placed 265/75/16 on my tundra. There is a slight power loss, but not big deal. On my old Tacoma, i had 32 11.50 r15. Thyere was some power loss, but i could live with it. It did rub on the stock rims on the a arms though.

·
Registered
307 Posts
i HAVE AN 04, AND I HAVE 33"S, I CANNOT FEEL ANY POWER LOSS AT ALL, STILL HAS BALLS!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks,
this is just what I wanted to know....thx for posting pics later....

wmcwilli said:
I also have a 01 Dcab and just did a Fabtech 3" lift with shackles in the back and went with 265/75R16. I should be able to post some pics Sun or Mon. These tires are probably the largest you can get with out loosing some power and having to do some small mods to keep the tires from rubbing. I hear that 285's you will get some rubbing and some power loss. IMO.

I have seen guys with 255/85R16 and I don't think they have the rubbing issue but I am not sure about the power issue. It has about the same diameter as a 33" but is more narrow. ExpeditionsWest.com has the 255's on his tacoma.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Without any performance modifications, and starting up from the stock size, you will always lose power and average mileage by going to larger tires. The bigger you go the more you lose--so a 265/75-16 is only one size up from stock and will be the lesser. I have 255/85-16's=33.3 inches diameter on stock wheels. FYI: They rub the frame on full turn of the steering wheel up front, pinch weld mod and skirt trimming on the wheel wells, and I loss a lot of power, and 4-5 miles per gallon. New gears are in the mail!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts