TTORA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy here.....
Just got me an 07 Tacoma...2.7, reg cab(yep, little guy)... I bought a 3" lift kit from toytec.com... gonna put some tiers and rims on her....
Now, with such a little motor, and goin big , I was thinkin about puttin a power chip in. Or a "Reasonable" way of tryin to get a little HP out of it...
Any help would be greatly appreciated..

·
Registered
532 Posts
no "power chip" is gonna help if they even make one for your truck.
Regear the diffs and youll be set.;)
x2. its the 2.7 its been around awhile so do a search for chips and you will see they are a complete waste of money. regearing your diffs is the only way to do it. do a search for regearing to find out more.

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
the 2.7 is a good engine but like any 4 cyl it doesnt make much at low rpms, regear cause you probably have 3.58:1 gears

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I had the 2.7 with 32's and there was a noticable power loss, but I had no problem driving around town or on the highway. If I remember correctly, I had 4.10's but I am not sure. It was actually quicker than my 3.4 after I put a new clutch in it. I could chirp the tires shifting into third with 32's if that gives you an idea of the power loss.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK!! RT ON, guys....Thank you verry much, that helped allot. Time to change a few things around on the to buy list.

·
Registered
444 Posts
32"s with a 2.7 and you're fine... i lucked out and have 4.30's stock in my reg cab 4 banger, and the loss of power and pull is noticable - but i'm happy with it. i'll be going up to 4.88's soon, so when i step up to 33"s i'll be all good.

it seems like there has been a real explosion of 2.7 related posts - much more than in the past. anyone else notice this?

·
Premium Member
4,982 Posts
i'd definitely go with 4.88's

4.56's at the bare minimum, AND you can find 4.56 in early taco's with the auto tranny

1 - 9 of 9 Posts