TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im planning on building a light bar for my tundra. Im wondering what size tubing to use? Is it 1.75. What wall thickness? im not sure what size to use. Input would be appreciated. Thanks. i want to build something like this. but i have a 2010 tundra. and im going to use either 3 or 4 lights and not as big of lights.

·
Registered
478 Posts
1.75 120 wall steel tube is gonna look just fine. Easy enough to bend and strong enough to take some hits. it's important with light bars to have it mounted pretty sturdy or when you're racing around you'll have your lights bouncing all over. Good luck with the build and take your time!!! Metal work is a blast you should have a fun time with this project.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
for sure. I have been looking where and how to mount it the past 4 hours haha. ive come up with a few ideas. than started thinking wth why not just build an entire bumper. But i really dont want to take my bumper off. My truck is 4 months old and i really havent seen a 2010 tundra with a good looking pre runner bumper yet. except some from dmz. ill prob go buy the material this week

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can anyone tell me where mounting the light bar would be best? ive been looking today and trying to come up with mounting...???

·
Registered
704 Posts
what year is your tundra? it's going to be best mounted to the frame.
also for light tabs, you might want to buy weld on tabs, they are tough to make if you don't have all the equipment a fab shop has.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
can anyone tell me where mounting the light bar would be best? ive been looking today and trying to come up with mounting...???
Best bet is to go through the lower grill as the pic shows, or drill holes and insert the light bar through the front bumper to the frame. There are areas on the sides of the frame you can weld a receiving plate to. You don't want to weld the light bar to the frame, or else you will be cutting it off. Make a bracket to mount the light bar to.
I am not very good at computer graphics to draw it up, but to describe it, let's say you have a plate you weld to your truck frame on each side. it would be say 1/4" thick, and you would have nuts welded to it so you could bolt a second plate to it that was welded to the light bar mounts. Hell, there are 6 or 7 ways to do that part, it's just hard to describe. I made a full bumper, and integrated it to use existing bolt holes already in the frame; it just bolts up to factory locations. No muss, no fuss.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts