TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted much here so I thought I'd throw up some pic's of my rear axle re-build.

This is what started the re-build. The drivers side is bent up and back and the passenger side is bent up. Also during this fun I had a carrier bearing go out and spit the spool out sideways. It made some fantastic noise. To add even more fun, I can't begin to tell you how fun it was to get the carrier out of the housing.

I started with a fresh strait housing, doing the right of passage, plasma cutting and grinding all the tabs, brackets & spring perches off. Then I removed the rock grabbing drain plug.

I built a gig out of 3.5" 3/8 wall DOM and 3/8 plate. It captures the ends of the tube as well as 2 bolt holes in the face of the diff mounting surface. I put the housing in the jig and went to town trussing.

The inner frame work of the upper truss. The breather tube is extended threw the top of the truss.

From the bottom. The rear spine is 1.5" od .250 wall DOM plated with 3/16. No more bending backward. The spine extends all the way to the flanges so they can't tweek either.

Here's a better shot of the jig and the 1/8" plating of the front side of the housing.

3/16 plating for the shock mounting area.

3/16 plating of the back side.

Drain hole plated in and ground smooth.

Oil filler neck and tie down/tow points added.

Back under and the 3/8" thick link tabs added.

I also added the shock tabs, sway bar mounts, brake line tie downs and this upper gusset as an additional brace to prevent the flange from bending upward. Then I painted the whole thing and started bolting on the full float kit.

Full float baby.

I opt'ed to put the calipers in front due to the angle that the axle will sit. It will be the highest point and more out of harms way then it would be in the rear. I'm using Longfield flanges and ARP studs for the outter axle engagement.

I re-built the differential with heat treated/cryo'ed Yukon gears. It may be hard to tell in the pic but that's a 27 spline Land Cruiser flange. That's needed to run 1350 U joints(with the appropiate drive shaft yoke of course).

Here's how the diff guard & bottom plating turned out.

Ready to go back under and have the $hit beat out of it.

This build is almost as stupid as my front axle build.

-Scott

·
Registered
546 Posts
Nice oil filler cap, do you ever plan on changing the oil without removing the axle and turning it upside down to drain the oil?

K-ton

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very nice,like that jig! Did you weigh it by chance?
The jig weighted about 45 pounds. :D

Actually I didn't weigh the housing but I'd say it was close to 75 pounds. I've been re-working the rear of the chassis and I've switched tires so I'm going to re-weigh the entire rig once completed.

You gonna show Dustin How to do that?
Ouch.

Nice oil filler cap, do you ever plan on changing the oil without removing the axle and turning it upside down to drain the oil?

K-ton
Ring and pinions seem to last the length of less then 1 oil change interval.

·
Registered
268 Posts

K-ton
I would really like to be able to run one long enough to need the oil changed!
Something usually leaks enough to keep the fluid fresh on mine.

·
Registered
546 Posts
most people put something ON a turkey, not suck something out of it
every turkey baster I have ever used, has broken or sucked (although the more you suck the better in this case) Tell me if this sounds familiar?,,,,
You be half way done with the turkey, mouth watering, everyone looking over your shoulder, yummy!!! Lets baste the turkey,,,, well get the turkey baster, then, suck,,dribble, dribble, squish, suck, dribble, dribble, squish, suck,,,OH fucker, the bulb just fell off the tube,,, FAWG!! Now we use a spoon!! hehe
(you should put the goodies between the skin and meat)
K-ton

·
Takama's-N-Shit!
9,048 Posts
suck,,dribble, dribble, squish, suck, dribble, dribble, squish, suck,,,OH fucker, the bulb just fell off the tube,,, FAWG!! Now we use a spoon!! hehe
(you should put the goodies between the skin and meat)
K-ton
I just threw up in my mouth a little reading that out of context and knowing that the item pictured above is NOT meant to used as a turkey baster. :eek:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
15 Participants
Trugota
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing