TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have done a ton of searching and found nothing about what im looking for. all the threads out there are just pix threads and I dont care how your lights look on your truck. I want to know how they will perform on my truck.

i have a bit of money to get some new lights for my new bumper. I loved my old pair of warn dual beams but dont want to drop the cash on another set of those. Id rather try something new.

Here is what I want:
1. be able to use them on the road without getting flashed by every oncoming car
2. blind the shit out of nate and ike night wheeling :D
3. have enough throw to be useful at high speeds on mountain roads at night
4. have enough spread to show me whats directly in front of me when crawling

I have been looking at HID this, LED that, halogen whatever but nothing seems like a good compromise. I would almost rather get two sets of lights, one for on road use and another for making trails turn into daylight.

opinions, who says what about whos shit? Im tired of not being able to see at night :eek:

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
.... sounds like you want 2 styles of lights. some spot projectors and then some floods for on the trail. HID is going to give you insane amounts of light, whether you blind people with the spots is up to you and aiming them... but for distance i would still consider them as a hi beam and such... as for the floods those will light up any trail but you will probably want to be the person in the front with them on...

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i understand the different types of beam patterns and bulb types. im looking for specific knowledge. what brands/models do people have and why do they like/dislike them.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was looking at those nate. 18" version would be sweet. problem is the beam is going to be way to intense to use on the road at all. So i would have to supplement it with a set of driving beams ect.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Eh, they could easily be mounted to adjustable bracket to aim lower for on road, and higher for offroad. You can also order them in 'euro' or 'flood' pattern. IIRC: the 'euro' pattern has a nice straight clean cutoff which is ideal for on road driving.

I was looking at just a single 8" for the front of my truck but it'll be awhile before i spend that kind of money on a single light.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I had a set of PIAA 520 Ion Crystal Driving lights on my 01 Tundra for about 4 years. Although they were bright as hell, I did not care for the yellow color of the ion crystal lense. They were okay offroad at night, but I think I would have preferred something more of a flood pattern vs. the spot. Without a horizon line, I doubt they would have been able to be adjusted for on road use without blinding oncoming traffic. The driving beam was nice though when traveling down roads like 285 when no one else was around.

I did however like the construction of the PIAA's. I have been looking at the PIAA 520 ATP's, which supposedly have a all terrain pattern, but I am also a huge fan of LED's so I am very tempted to try a set of the PIAA 525 dual beams as well.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
I will never own a set of glass-lensed lights EVER again. I'm a huge fan of Lightforce, but the one complaint is that they don't have any vertical cutoff.

For you items 1 and 4 you want a FOG pattern, with a very sharp vertical cutoff, keeping the light horizontal and below.

For items 2 and 3, you want a SPOT or PENCIL pattern.

Near as I can tell, the LED stacks don't have any vertical dispersion control (despite their "euro pattern" branding)

I used to run a setup that perfectly acted as you described:
http://www.buyautotruckaccessories.com/product.cfm/cf-bin/pn.piaa-940-twin-beam-driving-and-fog-lights/

The switch that comes with it only runs either the amber fog (with a very sharp vertical cutoff) OR the clear spot, but it's pretty easy to convert it to two separate switches so you can run both at the same time. They have glass lenses, mine fogged up on occasion, and they're PIAA so spare parts are impossible to get, but in terms of your beam pattern requirements, they're perfect. Maybe someone else makes something similar.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what I was thinking about for a while was a 12" LED bar with another set of cheapo driving lights for on road use. dont know if its worth the monies for all that though.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Those LED bars are badass (expensive, but badass).

The cheapo driving lights from wal-mart, vato-zone, etc. can easily be height adjusted and will actually help illuminate the road ahead. I plan to add a set to the front and rear of my truck eventually.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
im planning on getting some of the 4" hid lights from checker.... 100 a light isn't that bad for HID's

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ended up biting the bullet and ordered an 8" LED light bar with my rock light set today. Ill see how it does solo and then decide what other lights, cheapo or otherwise, I need to supplement it with. I figure the 8" doesnt have quite the projection of other lights or a larger light bar so it will be good for the up close side of things and depending on the beam may be able to use it on road, doubtful but maybe. depending on that I may get a second set with more throw like a pencil beam or get something with more of a fog beam to use on road.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
everywhere had the same price but the one place I could get free shipping (to the office) was MacNeill Industries. I was told by HowYaDoin on the main board to call VisionX directly and ask for the good buddy discount but every time I tried their direct phone in the last 3 weeks its been busy, during and after hours so I gave up.

Initially I wanted a 12" light bar but for the price, and since I wanted another pair of lights anyway, I went with the 8". Hopefully they live up to their reputation.

·
Registered
260 Posts
im planning on getting some of the 4" hid lights from checker.... 100 a light isn't that bad for HID's
I have the same lights and like them a lot, SUPER bright for the price!

IPF H4 conversion housings, PIAA extreme white bulbs. This set up is awesome on the road and I can see great, it's brighter in person.

Checker 4" HID's, like the above picture they are brighter in person! Almost too bright at times.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
also looking at doing a G1 projector conversion for my stock headlights... might be another thing to consider. another guy is going to see if a G3 will fit into the housing without issues but then you get HID's for your headlights with high/low beams. might be something to consider, then you can just get spots....

1 - 20 of 61 Posts