TTORA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
This is why I don't like super ultra white lights.

I think that the latest trend of using ultra white and super bright, is defeating the purpose of what most people are trying to accomplish. I have seen, for example, replacement dome lights with an LED board adapter. While that's a great idea, (low amperage so you can leave it on and it doesn't kill your battery) but it's so white that you can't differentiate the layers. It basically paints everything white and there is no depth perception. The same can be applied to fog/driving lights it's soo bright that all you see is white.

I think that if I were to buy one of those LED flood lights I'd have them put an amber bulb in one of the sockets just to "tint" the beam.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
in all seriousness though I really want to see if this thing lives up to its hype.
Hook it up to a battery!

Kevin - part of the issue is the picture is a bit overexposed in that area, but yes, the spectral response of LED's does make it a bit harder to "see" even with the same lumen output. I know LCD is polarized ... is LED?

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I would suspect that you could get a polarized lens for it, or you could get a DIY polarizer. I have been saving for a set of the 4" ones. I really like them and I know that the 8" 24v ones that I have worked with before are AMAZING! The issue would still remain though and I've found a place where I could get a replacement LED of the same caliber in Amber. Due to the cost and waranty issues though I don't think I'll be taking the damn thing apart to "experiment" with it. I've taken one of the 24 volt one's apart but only because it was damaged by a snow cat and was junk anyways. It's amazing how simple they are. The one killer though is heat, they produce a lot of it and must be mounted to a heat sink, hence the "fins" on the back of the light.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
that is actually an issue troy. its the inverter that generates heat and needs taken care of. one of the main reasons I went with VisionX instead of a few other brands was the research they have put into the heat sink for the LEDs. I wont have time until this weekend to even try to hook them up cuz of midterms. I know the overly white light of an LED is hard for some people to see but ive never had a problem with it so hopefully no modification will be needed.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have seen what he is talking about I had the same lights as a buddy of mine but he went the extra 30 bucks and got the 140w and I had the 100w. His were blinding and mine were perfect I know they weren't led of hid's but in the middle of nowhere you can see that spot where everything is to lite up. Like a burn or overexposer spot on a picture. To which is his own I guess!!!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
hey, this is semi-on-topic. and i have been thinking about this for a while.

anyone found a good way to get wiring to the roof of a 3rd gen runner for lights? i saw there was a small grommet in the back to run the 3rd brake light. but it doesnt leave a whole lot of room for wiring... any bright ideas?? and no, i wont drill a hole in the roof of my ride.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I just saw a writeup about it, but can't remember where ... Basically, they came out through the hatch, then back forward inside the roof rack rails.
nice... any idea where the write up went? thats exactly what i was looking to do.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
another side topic in my own thread:
I also got a set of tantrum rock lights. IIRC you have a set dont you troy? where are good mounting points? I was thinking about mounting them more centered than most writeups ive seen just so I can angle them out creating a larger footprint of light per light pod than if I aim them straight down. think that would cause too much dispersion over distance to be practical, or work out ok?

·
20,355 Posts
That should work ok. another think i have seen done is having them aimed at the opposite side of the truck in the front and back.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
So, it comes with 8 pods ...

The 2 in front of the front tires are stuck to the bottom of the grille and aimed straight down.

The 2 behind the front tires are stuck to the body and aimed straight down.

The 2 in front of the rear tires are mounted inside the frame, aimed across.

The 2 in back are mounted to the old spare tire arms at an angle, aiming across.

I get pretty good coverage that way, behind the front tires is a bit of a hot spot, but with the tranny/tcase cross firing them isn't really an option.

BTW - the controller is huge and ugly. I just hid it, and use the keyfob remote

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So, it comes with 8 pods ...

The 2 in front of the front tires are stuck to the bottom of the grille and aimed straight down.

The 2 behind the front tires are stuck to the body and aimed straight down.

The 2 in front of the rear tires are mounted inside the frame, aimed across.

The 2 in back are mounted to the old spare tire arms at an angle, aiming across.

I get pretty good coverage that way, behind the front tires is a bit of a hot spot, but with the tranny/tcase cross firing them isn't really an option.

BTW - the controller is huge and ugly. I just hid it, and use the keyfob remote
that was the plan. you guys busy sunday morning? kinda want to weld up a temp mount for the light bar. otherwise ill just work on the rock lights.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
I also need to mount my tantrums (still) lol

I was just planning on playing with them with double sided tape to get them aimed where I want. Then for final install use a little dab of seam sealer (soft and pliable so the light wont vibrate at all, but a much better adhesion than double sided tape).

You get your new bumper yet, Jay?

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I was thinking of a little more permanent mount for the lights like some angle iron tacked to the bell pan. but I dont have anything really against the tape/glue method so i might get lazy and do it that way.

bumper should be here next week.

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Seam sealer, or panel bond is pretty permanent. Much more than double sided tape, but not so permanent that you jack the lights taking them off if one were to fail or whatever.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
that was the plan. you guys busy sunday morning? kinda want to weld up a temp mount for the light bar. otherwise ill just work on the rock lights.
No, we'll be at my folks in Charlotte. Coming back Monday.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts