TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a search, but really couldn't find an answer. As it appears Brahma is no longer manufacturing lightweight thermoplastic caps, I find myself looking for another cap that is relatively lightweight. It needs to be reasonably secure as I carry fire/medical/rescue gear so the canvas type units are presumably not feasible. Your advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
305 Posts
How light do you need it? My ARE full side window camper shell is pretty light. I can put it on and off by myself. Probably easily less than a hundred pounds. Its big and awkward but not heavy.

~James

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, James. Yes, a one person removal/installation is my target. And, given the 2.7 engine, as little extra weight as possible. I'll give the ARE a look.
Danke.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Something to consider: The biggest weight on a topper is the glass. Less glass = less weight.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Something to consider: The biggest weight on a topper is the glass. Less glass = less weight.
I have a cheap Brahma that I got off craigs list for $66.
Its blow molded.
It weighs very little. I can easily lift it off and on. They other guy is right, the glass is the weight. There is no load on the top with out transfering the weight carrying to the rails. I keep the glass as I sleep in it during the winter but it will come off soon. If I was you and didn't need the side and front glass, I would pull it out and pop rivet a sealed cover on it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good info ... I had not considered the glass as the weight modifier. Looks like I need to spend some time looking for a used Brahma or perhaps a used fiberglas cap and replace the glass with plexi.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts