TTORA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if Demello or someone else could help me out here. I need limit straps for the back of my truck, but I'm not sure which length to get. Normally I could figure it out but I don't have the means right now to easily jack up the back of my truck to get the axle at full droop and I have to buy the straps on Friday for a quick install Saturday morning. I have a setup similar to the one Demello does, (see picture) except that I've since moved the upper shock mounts rearward (still on the same crossbar) to allow for more up-travel. There's also 1-inch blocks under the springs now. (Don't ask - it's what I get for leaving my truck with my dad for a weekend). So basically I have more up-travel so I don't need bumpstops now (i think) but I have less down-travel and now I need limit straps. I'm thinking of mounting them on the top to the old shock mounts (current ones in the picture) and then on somethin like 1-inch tabs to the axle. Anyone know about what length I'll need or have any input?

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/belkster2000/detail?.dir=42ba&.dnm=1288.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/belkster2000/detail?.dir=42ba&.dnm=d065.jpg&.src=ph

Pictures aren't the best, sorry

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My shocks are 10" stroke Kings by the way, I guess that would help...

·
Registered
337 Posts
You could un hook your lower shock mounts, measure the shock length fully extended, and pointed to where the shock mount would be at full extension, and that would be your strap length minus a little bit as I'm sure the nylon stretches some, but I'm not sure how much, just make sure brake lines and such are longer than the shocks, and assuming the springs droop farther than the shocks, I hope that helps. :)

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
BajaRnr12 said:
I was wondering if Demello or someone else could help me out here. I need limit straps for the back of my truck, but I'm not sure which length to get. Normally I could figure it out but I don't have the means right now to easily jack up the back of my truck to get the axle at full droop and I have to buy the straps on Friday for a quick install Saturday morning. I have a setup similar to the one Demello does, (see picture) except that I've since moved the upper shock mounts rearward (still on the same crossbar) to allow for more up-travel. There's also 1-inch blocks under the springs now. (Don't ask - it's what I get for leaving my truck with my dad for a weekend). So basically I have more up-travel so I don't need bumpstops now (i think) but I have less down-travel and now I need limit straps. I'm thinking of mounting them on the top to the old shock mounts (current ones in the picture) and then on somethin like 1-inch tabs to the axle. Anyone know about what length I'll need or have any input?

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/belkster2000/detail?.dir=42ba&.dnm=1288.jpg&.src=ph

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/belkster2000/detail?.dir=42ba&.dnm=d065.jpg&.src=ph

Pictures aren't the best, sorry
Thats a hard question to answer with out the truck in front of me. But here is how you figure it out. Droop our your rear suspension and find out where your going to mount the straps? Inormally mount them on the stok shock locations. Measure from eye to eye and see what you have at full droop. Then subtract 1-2in from that, and thats your length. I say 1-2in because the straps will stretch. if you want to be safe do straps 1.5-2in shorter if you want to try to get a little more out of the rear do 1in less.

Hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
I would not use straps if it were me. They rot out in a year or so and stretch too. I planning to use coated aircraft cable, just gotta think of a cool way to absorb some shock at full limit so it doesn't yank, maybe, a captured compression spring.

If you can find a way, a fork lift works well, just jack the end you're doing up until you are at the limit of shock travel, maybe the tires of off the ground maybe not. Then measure between the two planned attachment points and that is the length you need minus what ever factor you have for safety margin or stretch. Remember that anything is gonna stretch a little if you yank on it hard enough, even steel cable.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help, seeing as the only means I have right now of jacking up my truck is the stock bottle jack, I think I'm gonna measure from where I'm planning on mounting the straps, and then add however much down travel I have left based on the length of shock shaft I have showing (or not showing). Then subtract an inch for stretch. Just out of curiosity, what length straps do you normally run Demello?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Dick Foster said:
just gotta think of a cool way to absorb some shock at full limit so it doesn't yank, maybe, a captured compression spring.
Rig it with 2 pieces of cable and the spring in the middle, like a shock absorbing chain on a dog run.

Tim

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Dick Foster said:
I would not use straps if it were me. They rot out in a year or so and stretch too. I planning to use coated aircraft cable, just gotta think of a cool way to absorb some shock at full limit so it doesn't yank, maybe, a captured compression spring.

If you can find a way, a fork lift works well, just jack the end you're doing up until you are at the limit of shock travel, maybe the tires of off the ground maybe not. Then measure between the two planned attachment points and that is the length you need minus what ever factor you have for safety margin or stretch. Remember that anything is gonna stretch a little if you yank on it hard enough, even steel cable.
Tires wear out in a year too if you drive on them, maybe you should run solid ruber?

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
BajaRnr12 said:
Thanks for all the help, seeing as the only means I have right now of jacking up my truck is the stock bottle jack, I think I'm gonna measure from where I'm planning on mounting the straps, and then add however much down travel I have left based on the length of shock shaft I have showing (or not showing). Then subtract an inch for stretch. Just out of curiosity, what length straps do you normally run Demello?
Depends on the set-up. But somewhere between 21"-24"?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts