TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey yall, im new here. i got a 99 xtracab prerunner SR5 V6 auto and was lookin into a limited slip for my truck. any and all advice appreciated. i was considerin the trd version for the fact i know it will work perfect but i havent found one under 300 bucks yet. maybe i am lookin in the wrong place. thanks again
RENEGADE76254

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Try google search engine. With the rebuild master kit, fluid, etc, add some more money. Also, try to add some more money, PERIOD. The better units are more like $400, not 300. Eaton, and Auburn both have a solid reputation. The eaton is higly recommended by the guys who put in some extra power, like superchargers and chips.
They all eventually need service, they all wear out some day. My eaton is still good, it gives about 100% / 60% full time, and swaps over less harsh than some cone types. Perfect??? Who knows. Better than an open diff?? Oh hell yeah. Be SURE to use the right diff fluid when you do this, or you will booger things up, and get all kinds of slip you wouldn't ant to deal with. A lot of shops make this mistake, and the guys feel their units aren't working properly.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
RENEGADE76254 said:
hey yall, im new here. i got a 99 xtracab prerunner SR5 V6 auto and was lookin into a limited slip for my truck. any and all advice appreciated. i was considerin the trd version for the fact i know it will work perfect but i havent found one under 300 bucks yet. maybe i am lookin in the wrong place. thanks again
RENEGADE76254
Check out: TRDparts4u . They had a killer deal on the TRD LSD's a while back, not sure if they still do, but either way they'll get you the best price around.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
RENEGADE76254 said:
RENEGADE76254
www.trdparts4u.com . Chris was running them for $199 a while back; don't know if he still has them at that price.

otherwise look into the Detroit Truetrac but the price will be closer to $350.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if i am not mistaken the prerunners came with the electronic locker. could i get some feed back from someone who has one and does moderate off-roading. and does anyone have an idea how much the entire e-locker assembly would be or where besides the dealership i could get it?
RENEGADE76254

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Not all PreRunners had a locker. And again if you talk to chris or barb at trdparts4u they can tell you the specs on the limited slip or an E-locker. Chris has personally installed a couple and regularly wheels with the owners of the trucks using them.
An entire E-locker would probably have to come from a wrecked Tacoma, you need the whole axle. If you want to go that route try www.tapautorecycling.com in Rancho Cordova CA.
Tim

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
RENEGADE76254 said:
if i am not mistaken the prerunners came with the electronic locker. could i get some feed back from someone who has one and does moderate off-roading. and does anyone have an idea how much the entire e-locker assembly would be or where besides the dealership i could get it?
RENEGADE76254
as stated, some prerunners got the e-lockers but only the TRD pkg trucks...no TRD, no e-locker.

swapping in the e-lockers is not cheap, about $800 plus install if you can find the axle assemble on ebay or at a wrecking yard. You have to swap out the complete axle assembly, wheel to wheel, and install all the wiring. The wiring seems to cause the most problems from what I've seen posted here. The TRD rear axle is completely different than the non-trd and nothing is interchangable between them.

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Limited slip engages both wheels at all times it causes both wheels to spin. A E-Locker only allows both wheels to spin when engaged.

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
RENEGADE76254 said:
RENEGADE76254
TRD LSD's $199 shipped while they last- just email Barb at [email protected]

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
RENEGADE76254 said:
yea i seen that but i have a truck payment due 2 days after my next paycheck..... enuf said....
Then the PROPER fix is a 12 pack of beer. Bring along 2 buddies, and ply them with beer when you get stuck!! :xdevil:

·
Registered
102 Posts
hytenor said:
as stated, some prerunners got the e-lockers but only the TRD pkg trucks...no TRD, no e-locker.
My buddy had a double cab NON-TRD with a locker...he special ordered it from toyota.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
JaiRook said:
My buddy had a double cab NON-TRD with a locker...he special ordered it from toyota.
true, but not the norm and it is a major pita to get a dealer to do this.

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts
RENEGADE76254 said:
any and all advice appreciated. i was considerin the trd version for the fact i know it will work perfect but i havent found one under 300 bucks yet. maybe i am lookin in the wrong place. thanks again
RENEGADE76254
I just installed the the $199 TRD LSD from toyotaparts4u.com today with some help from Murderman.
Brother noticed immediate difference when cornering.

Its pretty straight forward and the included instructions are great- Includes all of the necessary torque specs- Although I don't see a need to remove the drums when you can just remove the entire axle (Probably to shave some weight - but not necessary) -
Looking at a 3-4 hr job
We didn't even need to heat up the ring gear.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
11 Participants
hytenor
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing