TTORA Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, great forum, appreciate advise on the following.

In Canada we have the unique problem of not being able to purchase a TRD access cab sport model (it doesn't exist here) with the LSD

So, I for an access cab I am stuck with either a off-road TRD (with a 8" ring and e-locker)
OR
a SR5 (open diff, but I don't know the ring size, I presume 8.4" based on my thread research)

My Questions.
1. Do any aftermarket LSD's fit the TRD 8" ring?
2. Please confirm that the SR5 open diff is 8.4", and that a TrueTrac will fit or swap in a TRD LSD.
3. Is a front LSD available yet?
4. Do you anticipate an aftermarket locker/lsd combination in the near future?

Thanks, the dealership hasn't been much help in being able to answer these questions. Appreciate any input.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I believe you may have the diffs mixed up? I'm almost sure the e-locker in the TRD off-road is the 8.4" and the open diff is the 8". If an LSD is what you want, the TRD limited slip would be a good choice, and you shouldn't have to do too much modification to the diff housing. It's made by Eaton for TRD and uses a heavy duty clutch plate for operation. They used to be fairly expensive, but I believe you can get one now for roughly $295 not including the master install kit components from a local Toyota dealer or online at www.trdparts4u.com

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the input.

tderose - thanks for the link, looks like you can purchase a complete TRD LSD pumpkin for about $1200.

also received a PM from a forum sponsor -
options for non-trd 8.4" ring are the Eaton clutch plate LSD or Truetrac gear based LSD. He recommended the Eaton. I have preferred gear based however in the past for their seamless quiet operation. Anybody have experience with either of these units?

thanks again for your help

·
Registered
358 Posts
thanks for the input.

tderose - thanks for the link, looks like you can purchase a complete TRD LSD pumpkin for about $1200.

also received a PM from a forum sponsor -
options for non-trd 8.4" ring are the Eaton clutch plate LSD or Truetrac gear based LSD. He recommended the Eaton. I have preferred gear based however in the past for their seamless quiet operation. Anybody have experience with either of these units?

thanks again for your help
Granted, you're asking about a rear diff application, but...I had a prototype Truetrac in the front of my truck last fall. It worked great, and significantly improved the capabilities of my truck. It was completely seamless -- I could never really feel it working, because it put power down before wheel slippage occurred. It never bound up the front end nor affected steering, and I never had the sense that my CV joints/shafts were in any danger at all, it was that smooth. The price for this is that it would revert to "open diff" mode when the going got really tough, but before it hit that point, it would stay hooked up, even when a tire lifted off the ground.

I had to have it removed because it kept spitting out the driver's side axle shaft. I sent the unit back to Eaton so they could continue development on it, but that's another issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Dented/Nick - my application will be 95% road and maybe 5% off-road. I understand this is an off-road site, however, I joined as the members here seem to be more knowledgable than other sites. My understanding, albeit perhaps misinformed if you correct me, is that an LSD would be preferred for on-road. It would be unlikely that I would get into a situation requiring a locker. How do you find the on-road performance of your differential while open? I am open to opinions.

JBL - interesting, a front LSD is in the works. will keep my eye out for it.

thanks again, all very helpful.

·
Registered
324 Posts
get the selectable locker, that is the ultimate if your going to be on road more often, way better than a lsd. or maybe im confused what your question is

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
showstopper - I had read that, and certainly is a consideration in my decision.

tinkertoy - specifically that question would be how is on-road performance of an LSD vs. open-mode on the selectable locker. My understanding is that an LSD would have better on road performance.

thanks

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
IMO the difference is that the LSD has available traction all of the time, snow, rain etc.. Where as the e-locker only has additional traction when it is activated by the driver. The locker is a bigger benefit in OR situations.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you have ever had a rear drive car with LSD you know how valuable they can be in light snow or ice. I know we are not comparing an LSD to open diff but if you live in an area where the road conditions are bad a large number of days in the year an LSD may be better for getting groceries etc.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
If you have ever had a rear drive car with LSD you know how valuable they can be in light snow or ice. I know we are not comparing an LSD to open diff but if you live in an area where the road conditions are bad a large number of days in the year an LSD may be better for getting groceries etc.
X2: But you better watch your ass on ice at anything over 30 MPH!!! That's when an open diff is your best friend. The dead tire doesn't tend to pitch the ass end around on you.:2cents:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the opinions, much appreciated.

My thoughts are leaning towards an SR5 and i'm going to drive it for awhile and the next winter, and reassess the needs of the truck for my useage. I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, so mostly I'll be dealing with light-med snow since the road maintenance during the winter is pretty good. I will have the option of adding an ARB locker or LSD with this choice depending on my feeling with the truck. Going TRD off road from the offset will eliminate the ability to go LSD down the road, since there appears to be no LSD options for the 8" rear ring.

mojave - especially appreciate the comment on >30mph ice. open may be better for me.

Again, thanks for the sage advice

pp

·
Registered
857 Posts
I have a 2005 Acess cab with 2.7, 5 spd. and had an open rear diff. After putting a 3" toytec lift in I had a Detroit LSD put in too. Mine is a D/D and about once a month off-road. I haul a small pop-up camper too. And My GF drives it occasionally too. So I wanted something forgiving to drive, yet have additional traction. Here in sunny florida it's mostly sand and mud, and very slick roads during the rainy season. So I'm not rock crawling or need all four wheels locked. I'm looking into a detroit LSD for the front now too, for those times I have a rear tire up on a sand hill and one in the air spinning.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Palepony--gee whiz, you've been given some interesting post. one more suggestion; log onto downeyoff-road.com, click on chassis section, click on lockers, first item is LSD's, click on Tech Talk. interesting reading!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts