TTORA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am about to purchase one of these two models and wanted to see if there were any opinions out there :D . The Lincoln Pro Mig 180 can be done for $500 shipped and the Lincoln Power Mig 180c about $710 shipped.

Besides the Power Mig being made to sell at Lows and the difference between a plastic and aluminum drive housing I don’t see much difference. This will be for a SAS project and general home fab stuff. So is it worth the extra $200 or is that money better spent on a tank, cart, etc...!?

Thanks,

Ross

·
Registered
93 Posts
That 180 that Lowes is selling is a tapped model, the 180c is a continuous model, meaning the voltage range is infinitely adjustable. Some may consider this a deal breaker. The 180c will be able to be more fine tuned to the material and position of your weld. I have read this issue both ways; some say go continuous and others say a tapped model is just fine. I have a tapped model, and wish it were continous. I think it would weld quite a bit better in certain situations. I am just a weekend warrior, and I am sure a more experience welder will chime in. Both models will be excellent though, you will just pay quite a bit more for the contiuos feature....

Brent

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
My bro-in-law has the 180. I love using it! I have no prob with it.:2cents:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I believe its the 180.. No fancy stuff with it. He got it from Lowes, on sale for about $600.00?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That would be the Pro Mig 180. Thanks for your experience. Any others :D ?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
That would be the Pro Mig 180. Thanks for your experience. Any others :D ?
Yes. You'll be very happy with the tapped mig welder. As for fine tuning, practice will make more of a difference than any amount of adjustability. I learned on a Lincoln 100 to mig weld. It taught me a lot of lessons on puddle control.And it worked great. Save your money and put it to use on another part of your project.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Go with the Lincoln. My .002

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I have a Miller 175 with the infonaut adjustment feature similar to that of the Lincoln and it works great for me... I for one find the extra adjustment vary use full when it comes to bumping the power up just a little to get it burning in just right. Adjustments are key when it comes to mig welding.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kicked down for the Pro Mig 180. Will be here on Saturday. :welder:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts