TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The lincoln is 175amp - $600 210volt
The hobart is 185amp - $550 230volt?
Any personal opinions between the 2? I've read that some people have had issues with the lincoln? And something about parts for the hobart?
It will be used for trail armor.
Sears has some "spend over $300.00 - get 20% off deal" It ends tomorrow so I was going to order shortly. (my computer is acting up and is VERY slow)

Questions - Will 230 volt work with your normal big ole' 3 prong dryer plug? I checked my plug and my fuse panel on the house and I'm not seeing anything about 220v/230v (okay, I guess the end of the switch says 110/240?) but my dryer plug is one of the huge ones? I have been using my little 110v welder and it did "okay" but it did trip the breaker every now and then.
Thanks - :saw:
Trevor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,712 Posts
Is that a 30 inscribed on the switch portion of the breaker?
It looks like a 30 amp 220v breaker to me.

You can plug it into dryer if you have the right fitting for it, in other words you might have to buy the right plug and it will work.

You may trip the breaker if you crank the heat up all the way up.

A 50 amp circuit breaker would be better for the size of welder you have. I have thrown a 50 amp breaker with a 180amp machine. .

Wally
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ahh. Okay - Thanks Wally. Yes, it states 30 amp.
I can figure out how to build my own extension cord with the correct plug - I'm not sure about how to swap the 30amp with a 50amp though :confused:
I'll have to look into that.

If anyone has any opinions on which welder to go with - that would be great.
Thanks!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,030 Posts
You need to determine the amps to the house. Most older houses are 100 amps. 50 amp service for one load can be dangerous to the system. Replacing breakers is best left to the experts. The main breaker for the house should tell you approx amps to the house. If your 150-200 amps you should be ok. Turn off the main breaker and secure tripped. Remove the cover plate. Unscrew the 30 amp and replace with 50 amp. Reinstall cover and if everything is done right no problem? Insure you wrap any metal with electical tape when messing with electricity. Rubber gloves is also good idea.
I highly recommend letting experts mess with trons.
I'm not an expert, just and engineer in the Navy with moderate knowledge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,030 Posts
Good call WallyP226
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ahhh. Lame. Okay - Well, I was thinking the sale ended through the 31st, but it ends in 45 minutes - still no reccomendations?!??!?! DAM. Were upgrading houses next year anyway - I'll make sure that it will work in the next house. I keep reading about spending the extra few hundred bucks on the 220V welder and try to stay away from the 110's....It's seems to be a bit more than that.
Here is a pic of my entire fuse panel - the main circuit switch has 200 on the end of it.
If anyone has any input on which welder to go with ;) that'd be great.
I will be sure to check my setup before burning down my house.
Thanks guys :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I think I just got screwed. I went to order the Hobart, and the discount didn't come off on checkout. (over $150.00)....This is the only reason I hate living on the west coast - damn time difference. I sent them an e-mail, they better honor that crap cause their site says nothing about ending east coast time.....
Trevor
 

·
truck ~n~ tow
Joined
·
10,917 Posts
Trevor 3blacktoys said:
Well, I think I just got screwed. I went to order the Hobart, and the discount didn't come off on checkout. (over $150.00)....This is the only reason I hate living on the west coast - damn time difference. I sent them an e-mail, they better honor that crap cause their site says nothing about ending east coast time.....
Trevor
I went with the Lincloln 175...

Got it off ebay for $ 515. shipped to my door (Very recently)... It was the Weld pak... Everthing is cool in that kit... except that sorry excuse for eye protection... :(

But now I new to find or make a cart...
 

·
Long lost Taco Owner
Joined
·
820 Posts
WallyP226 said:
Is that a 30 inscribed on the switch portion of the breaker?
It looks like a 30 amp 220v breaker to me.

You can plug it into dryer if you have the right fitting for it, in other words you might have to buy the right plug and it will work.

You may trip the breaker if you crank the heat up all the way up.

A 50 amp circuit breaker would be better for the size of welder you have. I have thrown a 50 amp breaker with a 180amp machine. .

Wally
Did you read the manual with your 180 amp machine? A 175-180amp 240V welder only needs a 20 amp breaker as suggested by the manufacture.
 

·
truck ~n~ tow
Joined
·
10,917 Posts
ptrautne said:
Did you read the manual with your 180 amp machine? A 175-180amp 240V welder only needs a 20 amp breaker as suggested by the manufacture.
What he said ^^^
I have 30 amps on the dryer circuit... That seems good with the 175's 20 amp needs (hasn't tripped yet)...
Just be sure to make up a good extension from 10 or 8 Ga... with the proper dryer plug...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,712 Posts
I have a Miller Synchrowave 180, in the AC mode TIG welding aluminum I have tripped the breaker with it cranked all the way up. In the DC mode I have not. I have also flipped the breaker with a Miller 35 cranked up, its a DC only machine. 20 amps isn't enough, if I am tripping a 50 amp breaker. Yes, a qualified electrician wired my garage.

Pag 14 of the owners manual says the 60amp max rating, Input amps are 54 at 60hz single phase 208-230 input voluts.


Wally
 

·
Long lost Taco Owner
Joined
·
820 Posts
WallyP226 said:
I have a Miller Synchrowave 180, in the AC mode TIG welding aluminum I have tripped the breaker with it cranked all the way up. In the DC mode I have not. I have also flipped the breaker with a Miller 35 cranked up, its a DC only machine. 20 amps isn't enough, if I am tripping a 50 amp breaker. Yes, a qualified electrician wired my garage.

Pag 14 of the owners manual says the 60amp max rating, Input amps are 54 at 60hz single phase 208-230 input voluts.


Wally
We are talking about 240V MIG welders in this thread. TIG welders are a different animal.
 

·
Long lost Taco Owner
Joined
·
820 Posts
WallyP226 said:
What is a Miller 35?

Wally
We are talking about 175-180 amp MIG welders which the first person asked about. All I was saying is that you don’t need a 50 amp circuit for a Hobart, Lincoln or miller 175 MIG welder. They all suggest a 20 amp breaker
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
gsmsnuffy said:
You need to determine the amps to the house. Most older houses are 100 amps. 50 amp service for one load can be dangerous to the system. Replacing breakers is best left to the experts. The main breaker for the house should tell you approx amps to the house. If your 150-200 amps you should be ok. Turn off the main breaker and secure tripped. Remove the cover plate. Unscrew the 30 amp and replace with 50 amp. Reinstall cover and if everything is done right no problem? Insure you wrap any metal with electical tape when messing with electricity. Rubber gloves is also good idea.
I highly recommend letting experts mess with trons.
I'm not an expert, just and engineer in the Navy with moderate knowledge.
DO NOT DO THIS!!!

A 30 amp breaker is going to be installed with #10 awg wire. If you try to pull a 50 amp load thru #10 instead of the #6 or #8 that a 50a circuit requires you can and probably will start a fire. A welder being used hard is a very high demand device and MUST be wired correctly. Again, NEVER install a breaker that is oversized for the wire it is feeding. BTW, I am an electrician who works in quality control for a general contractor. Funny thing, almost all of my work is for the Navy...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,030 Posts
WallyP226 said:
Breakers are designed to protect the wiring. I would check and see what the wire size is to the dryer before running out and buying a larger breaker, it really is a safety issue.


http://groups.google.com/group/misc.consumers.house/browse_thread/thread/36f142705a4d4d94/e49fcc9fe2f13d59?lnk=st&q=wire+size+and+amp+rating+50+amp&rnum=5&hl=en#e49fcc9fe2f13d59

Wally
If you looked at the line after this I agreed with him. I didn't think about the wire. My screw up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
If you looked at the line after this I agreed with him. I didn't think about the wire. My screw up.
Apologies for coming across rough there, I just wanted to make it clear. Sometimes if a guy needs to click a link and study a bit he'll just keep scrolling down the page. No worries on my end.

My safety training from work jumps out thru the keyboard sometimes...
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top