TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well , i have the money ,finally, to get me a welder , and i am going with Lincoln. I want a Mig welder that can do Flux-core wire without gas and Gas if i want to do it . Any suggestions on what type? I will mainly be welding bumpers and sliders and such. I saw a 135 i want , it has a 110 volt plug which is practical to me .Is is allright to weld bumpers and such? I heard that if you want to pick a welder , go with one more above the model that you can afford, but it has a 220 volt plug. What do you guys think? I appreciate any answers to this. Sorry , i know this has been posted before , but i did a search and it didnt do any good.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have a little lincoln pro 135 mig that will do flux core and gas. I mainly use the flux now but its a good little unit. Works fine for sliders, cages, racks, stuff like that. Dont know about bumpers, havent made any yet....
-Scott

·
Long lost Taco Owner
820 Posts
tercel89 said:
Well , i have the money ,finally, to get me a welder , and i am going with Lincoln. I want a Mig welder that can do Flux-core wire without gas and Gas if i want to do it . Any suggestions on what type? I will mainly be welding bumpers and sliders and such. I saw a 135 i want , it has a 110 volt plug which is practical to me .Is is allright to weld bumpers and such? I heard that if you want to pick a welder , go with one more above the model that you can afford, but it has a 220 volt plug. What do you guys think? I appreciate any answers to this. Sorry , i know this has been posted before , but i did a search and it didnt do any good.
The 135 will work but when you are welding thick material for bumpers, you could get to the point where you may have to wait for the welder to cool down because of the duty cycle. I got the 175 just for the better duty cycle

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any problems at all with it ?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am still new to welding . What is the duty cycle? Is it how long and hard to run it between cool-downs?

·
Long lost Taco Owner
820 Posts
tercel89 said:
i am still new to welding . What is the duty cycle? Is it how long and hard to run it between cool-downs?
No problems with the welder so far but that is why I bought a Miller and not some cheap brand. The duty cycle tells you how much you can weld in a certain time and then how much it must cool off. So my welder has a 30% duty cycle at 130 amps, so I can weld for 3 minutes at 130 amps then I need to let it cool for 7 minutes.

Miller 175: 30% @ 130 amp
Miller 135: 20% @ 90 amp

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my friends say that both Miller and Licoln are both really good brands.

·
Long lost Taco Owner
820 Posts
tercel89 said:
my friends say that both Miller and Licoln are both really good brands.
They are. I would buy a Miller, lincoln, or hobart. I was just saying that I would stay way from the cheap brands like Campbell Hausfeld, Chicago Electric. When I was looking, I choose the Miller because it came standard with infinate voltage control where the hobart did not have it a and the Lincoln you had to buy the more expensive one to get it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have the lincoln sp 135 + which is i think the highest one you can run off of 120v. Ive had it about a year, and im not looking at going bigger.
Everyone i have talked to seems to get addicted, and then want/need a bigger welder. I will always keep it though, because it runs off regular outlets, and its set up for flux core. I can take it to friends houses and help them and not have to worry about what outlets they have.

If your just going to weld occasionally, you can get away with a 135. but you wont be able to weld material much more than 3/16. I wouldnt use a 135 for anything structural like suspension or cage, or hitch. but a bumper and sliders should be fine.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
about how thick of metal can i weld with the 135 ? i know some sliders are kinda thick. Like maybe 1/4 "?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
tercel89 said:
we have a one at the shop, it does ok, we use it on smaller stuff and it will put a pretty good weld on it, but it will be slooooowwww as hell. but then again we also have a millermatic 250 which will do 1/2" in a single pass :D I would check on the millermatic 175 also, i think they are around 650 or so.

EDIT: for just a 110 outlet i guess you dont have much of a choice....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts