TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NOTE: Before you read this you must realize that my Toyota is STOCK! open diffs, no winch and 31x10.50 15 BFG A/T!!!

I just got back from checking out a trail on Welsh Mountain in New Holland. Gturbo told me about them, I got there to find a car at the trail head, a father who told me his son was back there trying to tow a broken 2WD Blazer out and was stuck. He told me my truck would reach them with no issues. I ventured back, not ever b eing here it was a little nerve wracking. I went through a few long locker deep puddles and found the stuck trucks. a Chevy 1500 and the 2WD Blazer. I asked how it happened, they tried to bypass the mudhole...and slid in it sideways...and got stuck on the driveline... I told them I could easily get the blazer out(since it was barely in) we pulled the blazer out no problems, pulled it back then went back up for the 1500. this one was different. we hooked up the chain to the tow ball on the 1500 and my front hook on my Toyota, I put her in R and gave it hell, I started to spinn so before I dug myself in a rut that my non lock diffs couldnt get out of, i stopped. Told them to try to start the truck, it started up ok he put it in reverse and just goosed his throttle as I gave it hell again, and out she came!!!

Shortly after there friend with a V8 1500 Ram showed up...
I deem the Yota the "Recovery Vehicle"
This is what I saw first>

The Blazer is out in no time>

This looks bad!>

Little help from the Chevy and it was out in no time!>

Just thought I would share this with everyone. I must say I am very amazed at my truck, It has honestly never let me down, I got hung up the othernight in some deep snow but I did manage to get it out without any chains or tow straps. I cant wait to see what it can do once I get some lockers and a lift.

~Goldie

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
You should NEVER hook a chain to a ball on a bumper.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Trail

The trail he was at is off of Rt. 322 near 897. From 322 you head South on 897 (Springville Rd.). Then you make a left on Gault Rd. The actual access is along Gault Rd. Its not a huge area, but enough to get the truck nice and muddy, especially after all the snow melt as you can see.

·
Registered
819 Posts
gturbo said:
The trail he was at is off of Rt. 322 near 897. From 322 you head South on 897 (Springville Rd.). Then you make a left on Gault Rd. The actual access is along Gault Rd. Its not a huge area, but enough to get the truck nice and muddy, especially after all the snow melt as you can see.
hey is that trail up past honey brook or is it up towards ephrata ???

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
crawyota said:
hey is that trail up past honey brook or is it up towards ephrata ???
ok I"M LOST!!!! lol :confused:

·
Registered
40 Posts
The trail is pretty much right in between honey brook and ephrata. Look at a map where 897+322 intersect, its close to there..

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Angus1 said:
You should NEVER hook a chain to a ball on a bumper.

Yeah, what Joe said. You should never use chain to extract a stuck vehicle. Get yourself a good tow strap with no metal hooks, you'll be glad you did. And a ball on a stock bumper is a weak tow point. I might trust a ball on a trailer hitch, but not on a stock bumper. :2cents:

That being said, very nice job on the recovery. It feels awesome to pull a full size truck out when everyones telling you there's no way in hell you're gonna pull it with that little rice burner.

Roughly how long is that trail? An hour, 1/2 day? Looks like a cool place, was it all mud, or where there any other type of terrain?

--Scott

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would say the trail is closer to an hour to do the whole area, maybe a little more. I guess that depends if you get stuck or not, hehe. There are a few little loops that all connect. Its mostly just mud, couple rocks on the trail but not many. Supposedly there is more trails on the other side of Gault Rd. but I have no idea what those are like.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just to let everyone know.
There are NO legal place's to drive off-road on Welsh Mountain.
The property up here is ALL private.
The local law enforcement will impound your truck and all of your belongings.
The only way to get your stuff back is to buy it back at the auction.
I can not stress this enough, there is no legal place to wheel on Welsh Mountain.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That is the first time Ive heard this about this trail. I have talked to more than one person who has seen a police officer upon entering/leaving the trail and they stop and say hi and have no problem. I saw no posted signs stating otherwise. If what youre saying is true I apologize for informing about this trail.

·
Registered
25 Posts
rocktoy87 said:
Are there POSTED signs???
Do you have signs posted in your front yard?.........NO?
Then it's OK for me to wheel accross your property and tare up your land?
Just because someone owns alot of property does not give you the right to wheel on it. It's the same as someone wheeling in your yard.
Unless of course you don't own any property then you would not care.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
If my yard was bigger I would wheel in it.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Not to get into an arguement but If i owned a lot of land, that I didnt want anyone on I would post signs, doesnt that kinda fall on the land owners responsiblity for their land. If you want to come over and wheel in my yard go ahead, I have no problem letting someone use my property for a fun sport. What I am saying is that if the landowner doesnt want them there then post something on the land about it, instead of attacking them on a forum. wouldnt it be nice to drive 15-20 mins to wheel legaly every once and a while??? I love paragon and RC and have no problem driving the distance but any local wheeling would be nice to. I could keep going about this but Ill stop now

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
rocktoy87 said:
Not to get into an arguement but If i owned a lot of land, that I didnt want anyone on I would post signs, doesnt that kinda fall on the land owners responsiblity for their land.
gturbo said:
That is the first time Ive heard this about this trail. I have talked to more than one person who has seen a police officer upon entering/leaving the trail and they stop and say hi and have no problem. I saw no posted signs stating otherwise. If what youre saying is true I apologize for informing about this trail.
I agree...there were no signs that I saw, the only signs I ever saw were up the road a bit, they were bright orange and said DO NOT ENTER...RIFFLE RANGE, but these trails didnt go near there and there are no signs of anykind. also when the Dodge Truck arrived a local police officer stoped to ask about the car on the side of the road, they told him they were recovering a stuck truck and the cop laughed, said he had been stuck back there before and drove off. So unless you own that land, there is no need to get your panties in a bunch,and if you own the land...post some signs at the trail head or block it off if your that concerned. also im pretty sure no one will impound and auction off your truck and whats in it, it would be a large fine for Treaspassing, and property damage if the owner so wished to press it. your stuff would get towed but you would get it back after the legal issues were sorted out.

also when we left a chevy corsica drove back there and started firing off his gun, my guess is that those trails are for or were for the riffle range.

yeah the towball and the chain was a bad idea but I barely got any tension on the chain to be honest, my current strap I have i need to remove the metal hooks on, but it has a 10,000lb break strength.(5500 lb load limit)
the trail itself is just outside of New Holland and Blueball. 332E to 897S turn right on 897S(turn left if comming from downingtown) and follow up the road about 1-2 miles...on the right there will be a brown sign that says New Holland WaterShed. turn left there onto Gault Road. its near the top of the hill on the right. Alot of locals know about it...they call it "The Gault"

~Goldie

1 - 17 of 17 Posts