TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you lock the rear when going through mud / snow / sand???? or is it better left open???

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you got it lock it, it depends on what exactly you are doing . I have driven through deep sand w/ a limited slip and had it plow down on me. I've also driven thru light snow w/ a 2wd and locked rear and done fine. Are you talking trails or daily driving to get to a to b?

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
nos4you said:
Do you lock the rear when going through mud / snow / sand???? or is it better left open???
My locker is full-time, so not much choice here. The only conditions it is not helpful for me is sloped trails that are icy or slick. I'd been in a few situations where my whole rear end wanted to slide right off the trail if I even tried to touch the gas. The others in my group with open diff had an easier time, but they still slipped around.
Other then that, the locker is very helpful in all other conditions.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gumbo said:
If you got it lock it, it depends on what exactly you are doing . I have driven through deep sand w/ a limited slip and had it plow down on me. I've also driven thru light snow w/ a 2wd and locked rear and done fine. Are you talking trails or daily driving to get to a to b?

Talking bout trails, mud pits, etc...

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
usually when i hit the dirt the locker goes on and stays on until i get back to the pavement...of course there are always exceptions like off camber turns, etc.

931 Posts
nos4you said:
I only use it when it is needed. If it is a large mud pit that I think I may have a problem with open I lock. It puts extra stress on things when you lock, so why run with it on all the time, that makes no sense. This last weekend in the snow it was normally better with lockers off, unless you got stuck and needed to get back on the trail. On ice/snow lockers make you go sideways. The slipping of the open differential lets you get going without digging in and getting stuck.

http://www.parksoffroad.com/all old trips/1-1-05pilsburyrunnewyears/1-1-05newyearsdaypilsbury.htm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts