TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '02 regular-cab five-speed with a No-Slip in the rear and 31" MT/Rs. The truck is otherwise stock. It is my daily driver. I'm contemplating either a Lock-Right or Truetrac for the front. An Air Locker is out of the question. I will not "upgrade" to manual hubs. I hit Moab occasionally and use the truck for general trail driving.

Are there any side effects with running a front Lock-Right on the street while in 2WD with the ADD front end? Doesn't the locker remain unlocked because it's not receiving any torque from the motor and, therefore, would not click/clang or do anything else?

Is it pretty scary running front and rear automatic lockers on snowy pavement? (I live in northern Utah, but my commute is short.) Will I regret getting the front locker on snowy days?

If I go the Truetrac route, I understand I will need to purchase new carrier bearings. Are those available only from the stealership? How much might I expect to pay for those bearings?

Anything else I should be aware of? I've heard something about an Aussie locker, but I don't know how it compares with, say, a Lock-Right in terms of driveability, durability, etc.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
195 Posts
I can't help you with this question, but I was wondering how you like the no slip. I too have a reg cab, and wonder how it handles with the short wheelbase in icy weather and such.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had the No-Slip installed for only a month or so. I like it a lot. It seems to have taken some time to break in. It finally doesn't cause the gears to "crunch" anymore when I shift. I've had it on snowy pavement only a little, but it drove just fine. There were no problems. You have to watch what you're doing with the right foot so the back end doesn't come around inadvertently.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
This issue was debated pretty frequently right before the delphi board was shut down. Lots of people are using the lockright/ADD combo and say they don't have problems. I know the guys in my chapter with that combo travel with WAY more spare cv's than I do with a lockright and manual hubs, though. Personally, if I lived in an area where it snowed regularly, I would be a little nervous to have an automatic locker in the front, but that's a decision you have to make. If you absolutely have to have the extra traction, the truetrac might be a good choice, but keep in mind, a limited-slip differential is by no means a substitute for a fully locking differential.

·
Registered
195 Posts
JBL13 said:
I've had the No-Slip installed for only a month or so. I like it a lot. It seems to have taken some time to break in. It finally doesn't cause the gears to "crunch" anymore when I shift. I've had it on snowy pavement only a little, but it drove just fine. There were no problems. You have to watch what you're doing with the right foot so the back end doesn't come around inadvertently.
Would you say it spins out much more than when it was open? Mine is pretty touchy even with an open diff. My theory was that locked wouldn't be that much worse.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It has the tendency to simply push the front end straight in turns under light throttle, but will oversteer (kick the back end out) under heavier throttle. That being said, you can find a happy medium in which the truck negotiates turns well on snowy pavement, but you have to get used to it and probably modify how you drive a little. I'd say it's easier to get the back end to swing out than before for a given throttle setting, since there is no longer a "dead" rear tire to serve as an anchor. This has not been a problem for me on the snowy pavement I've driven on recently, but I haven't been on ice yet. It's something you can get used to. You just need to drive conservatively when the roads are slick, which makes sense anyway.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yeah, I am not an aggressive driver, and have driven locked vehicles on ice before, just wanted to see how radical it is. It sounds like it is the same as with any vehicle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts