TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...I'm new to the forum, in fact I don't even have a Taco but I'm considering buying a new '07 DC. I've searched for an answer to this, but have been unable to find what I'm looking for. I sold my Jeep Rubicon because I need a bigger vehicle (my family got bigger so now my car has to). I really liked the Jeep a lot and having front and rear lockers was a big part of that. The rear axle had a Limited Slip for running around, and then the locker for when the fun started. My question is, is there a way to get a limited slip with a locker in the '07's? If I'm understanding the Taco's, the TRD Offroad has a rear locker, but is open for normal driving. The TRD Sport has the limited slip, but no locker. If I were to get the TRD Sport and put in an ARB, do I get to keep the LSD, or will I loose it by installing a locker? I'm still up in the air over a Taco or a 4-door Rubicon Unlimited. Any info anybody can give me to help with the decision would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Craig

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I want both. I like having the limited slip for daily driving because I live in a snowy area and the extra traction helps out. Plus, it's nice not having to go to 4-LO to get the extra traction from the locker. Maybe I'm making too much of it though and having the open diff with the e-locker is just fine. Anybody with the e-locker wish they had a limited in there too? Or is this really a non-issue?

Craig

·
Administrator
18,217 Posts
Maybe... said:
My question is, is there a way to get a limited slip with a locker in the '07's? If I'm understanding the Taco's, the TRD Offroad has a rear locker, but is open for normal driving. The TRD Sport has the limited slip, but no locker. If I were to get the TRD Sport and put in an ARB, do I get to keep the LSD, or will I loose it by installing a locker?
Sorry, with the Tacos, its one or the other, not both. TRD Sport if you want the LSD, TRD Offroad if you want the locker. The ARB locker replaces the whole carrier, so you would have to remove the LSD to install the ARB.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Maybe... said:
The rear axle had a Limited Slip for running around, and then the locker for when the fun started.

sure about that? every selectable locker is gonna be an open diff when not engaged...i think the rubicons came with ARB's

just toss in a lockrite lunchbox locker :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I remeber reading that (the 1st generation ones for sure) Rubicons are LSD when they're not locked. Personally, living in a snowy region I'd rather have an open diff over a LSD 95% of the time, minus the big snow drift busting moments. A limited slip diff can put you in some pretty hairy moments at times, at highway speeds.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Although not for Tacomas, Auburn makes a LSD/Locker combo. It's called the Auburn ECTED. Give Auburn a call, see if they have something for Toyotas yet.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Nope - none of the other selectable LSD/Locker units work in Toyotas because the mechanism is built into the diff cover, which Toyotas don't have.

As mentioned above, the elocker + traction control will work ALMOST the same...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks a lot for all the quick responses to my question. I guess if I get a Taco, it'll be the TRD Offroad package then, because I really love having a locker. I kinda figured it was a one or the other deal, but I wanted to check just to be sure.

PathBlazer - I'm sure that it was LSD then a locker when engaged. I had the first year Rubi which was for sure set up this way. The locker was air, similar to an ARB but from a different company. It was a low pressure locker (like 5psi if I remember correctly) and the compressor was completely silent. Now they're using a different design, but that's what I had.

Again, thanks everybody for all your help!!

Craig

·
Registered
148 Posts
you could always do the "grey wire mod" where you can use the locker in 4-hi, i am sure there is the same mod for the jeeps if you decide to get a unlimited jeep rubicon 4-door........... or what ever they are called

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Yes he is sure. There are only a few LS/lockers on the market and none of them are from ARB or Toyoata. I have an Electrac in my front D44 and it is a torsen LS and full locker when engaged. The Jeep Rubicon does not come with ARB lockers from the factory. In fact I know of no OEM that uses ARB. ARBs are all aftermarket as far as I know. The Rubicon uses a air locker but it runs on 5 PSI while ARB take more pressure. I don't think it is ARB but something supplied by Dana as both axles are Dana 44s. My guess is that locker engagement works something like the TRD but uses a pneumatic actuator instead of a small motor.
That raises and interesting question for those running Dana 44 axles as to the avalibilty of the Dana locker for retro fitting into an existing older D44 axle housing. Possibly from a salvage Rubicon. Hummmm.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
gixxerjesse said:
you could always do the "grey wire mod" where you can use the locker in 4-hi, i am sure there is the same mod for the jeeps if you decide to get a unlimited jeep rubicon 4-door........... or what ever they are called
Remember he has the new year taco. Is there a mod for this year?

This allows you to lock the rear end, regardless of the selection of the xfer case.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Maybe... said:
I want both. I like having the limited slip for daily driving because I live in a snowy area and the extra traction helps out. Plus, it's nice not having to go to 4-LO to get the extra traction from the locker. Maybe I'm making too much of it though and having the open diff with the e-locker is just fine. Anybody with the e-locker wish they had a limited in there too? Or is this really a non-issue?

Craig
You really dont want a LSD on snow/ice, the best option is open/open.. which is the best part about most selectible lockers. I think Jeep really screwed up when they made the rear a LSD/locker... LSD's on snow/ice generally "lock" up and cause a not so great situation, espically on pickups. Besides LSD's are more hype than anything, IME they work when you dont want them to (i.e. on snow/ice) and dont work when you want them to (i.e. off-road)...

I have spent too much money in the past on LSD's, it was a complete waste of cash...

Get the elocker, and get the best of both worlds.. locked when needed, and open when not...

You can also do they grey wire mod so you dont have to use 4LO for the locker...

PathBlazerTRD said:
sure about that? every selectable locker is gonna be an open diff when not engaged...i think the rubicons came with ARB's

Nope, the rear is a LSD/Locker, and the only thing it has in common with the ARB is that is uses air pressure. But the ones Jeep used, 07's are elec, only ran on something like 4psi....

And the locker in the Jeep is not the only one that is LSD/locker.. I cant recall which one, i think eaton, has a elocker that is LSD/locker... IMO another huge mistake.. the reason I have a selectible locker is because I have a open diff 99% of the time, which is what I want...

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
X2 on no LSD's for snow. I spent 3 years in anchorage and 5 years in upstate NY, my LSD in my '84 was great in the deep stuff but in everyday winter conditions, it made for some interesting driving...especially if my wife had to take the truck. I love the e-locker in my '05 TRD, hasn't let me down yet...$35 Sky's off road skid plate for it has taken some hits...no issues

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
ocdropzone said:
$35 Sky's off road skid plate for it has taken some hits...no issues
Do the 05+'s have the same issue as the early tacos with hitting the gas tank?

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
I think they went to plastic gas tank skid plates in 05. If anything it's more of an issue now. At least I could weld some plate onto mine and beef it up.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Dick Foster said:
I think they went to plastic gas tank skid plates in 05. If anything it's more of an issue now. At least I could weld some plate onto mine and beef it up.
With the added wheelbase and width, even with a larger tank, is the elocker as close, closer, or further?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
13 Participants
ah64id
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing