TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now in the market for a locker. My truck will be driven on the street more than the trail i am loking for yall's opinion on the best locker for this situation. I cant afford an arb so maybe a detroit or an aussie any info would help

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Lots of people run lock rites and quick locks (not reccomended) It is an auto locker, its cheap and as long as your careful its not bad. When you give it torque the rear end locks itself, when you turn it rachets and the rear end is not locked.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
im running a lockrite and so far it has been great. you just have to learn what makes it act up and avoid those things. also i have hear the bigger the tire, the worse it is. im running 32s so i guess its not bad. for the money, you cant beat it if you dont mind your rearend making wierd noises lol

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
there is also the powertrax no-slip(same company that make the lockrite). i beleive it's a little more expensive than the lockrite. our old president had one in his tacoma.
-daniel

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I had one in my Tacoma and it was fine(No Slip). James had lock rites.

What year thuck is it again? E Locker or ARb would be the best option but they are the most $$$.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
ATLRoach said:
I had one in my Tacoma and it was fine(No Slip). James had lock rites.

What year thuck is it again? E Locker or ARb would be the best option but they are the most $$$.
i didn't realize you had one in you taco kyle. i was actually referring to anthony from way back when i first joined. i think he did i a write up in the tek section.
-daniel

·
Registered
146 Posts
What year is your truck?
I've got an ARB for a non-TRD rear axle. I bought it from Rob, the Washington Prez (i think). It was delivered exactly 2 years ago yesterday.
I was going to put it in my 2004 Double Cab 4x4 but never got around to it.

I'm not trying to make any money on it, but I'd like to get out at least most of what I've got in it.

Here's what I paid in 2005:
$550.00 for the locker and parts
$20.00 for shipping
$16.53 Paypal charges 2.9% on the transaction
$.30 Paypal transaction fee
-------------------------------
$586.83 Total.

Make me a reasonable offer if you're interested. I wouldn't expect you to pay the shipping and paypal charges.

This is just the locker, no compressor. Kyle could probably tell you more about it than I can. Here's the pdf that the guy emailed me when I bought it.
http://www.watrd.com/work/RD89.pdf

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its a 79 that i just finised the 3rz swap I am going to run 36" tsl's I need a strong locker because I am pedal happy person

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
Find an elocker out of a Tacoma and modify your housing to make it fit.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
What Kyle said, get an E-Locker. You will not be dissappointed and as far as the money goes, it's pretty cheap compared to an ARB but there is a good bit of work that needs to be done to the housing, but if me and a few other beer guzzelling fools can do it, anyone can!

·
Registered
690 Posts
rustyyota said:
I am now in the market for a locker. My truck will be driven on the street more than the trail i am loking for yall's opinion on the best locker for this situation. I cant afford an arb so maybe a detroit or an aussie any info would help
Is this a front or rear application? I ran an Aussie locker on the front of my 84 for a while and never had ANY issues with it, though I'm not especially throttle happy either. I've also been really happy with my welded/spooled rear end. Granted you will experience more tire wear than you would with a locker, but I have heard (though I'm not convinced myself) that a spool is easier on an axle than a locker because of the consistent loads that are applied to the axle shafts. They're hard to beat for the price and complete dependability.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I have a spool that will fit a 4cyl diff that I'm not using. I think I paid $100 for it, plus shipping, so if you want it, let me know. Of course, with a spool, you will have to get the gears set up, again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts