Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright guys dont ream me too hard on this silly question. ihave an 05 'coma
4x4 with the push button locker. if im correct in the manual its overcautious and says only use locker as a last resort to free vehicle from mud if 4 lo doesnt work. it says once in 4lo push the locker on and free yourself.
can i use the locker in regular 4wd? if so how slow should i drive? does any one have experience in a similar situation? im sure you do.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
If the 05+ are anything like the 98-2004, you can only engage the locker in 4low. For the 98-2004 you can do the grey wire mod which allows you to engage it in 2hi 4hi and 4lo, not sure if there is something like that for the 05+

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is that new to the 05? someone said that you can only use it in l4 unless you get grey wiring? like the 98-04's?

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
alright guys dont ream me too hard on this silly question. ihave an 05 'coma
4x4 with the push button locker. if im correct in the manual its overcautious and says only use locker as a last resort to free vehicle from mud if 4 lo doesnt work. it says once in 4lo push the locker on and free yourself.
can i use the locker in regular 4wd? if so how slow should i drive? does any one have experience in a similar situation? im sure you do.
Your best bet is to search in the Late Tacoma folder. You will more than likely find your answers there. As stated, doing the locker mod, you can use the locker in any setting. My locker (on a '98) usually didn't engage unless I was going fairly slow, or sometimes I'd have to go in reverse or rock a little, depending on how dirty it was. :D The locker can be useful in many situations.

A locker would have helped here (sorry about the large pic :D )

This was the first time I engaged mine.

It was a little more technical than it looks, but because of the ice, being a one tire fire with AT's wasn't cutting it.
I've done 60mph in the sand at Pismo locked. Speed doesn't really matter too much once it is engaged.

·
Registered
179 Posts
can i use the locker in regular 4wd? if so how slow should i drive? does any one have experience in a similar situation?/QUOTE]

You can only lock the rear while in 4lo AND driving below 5mph.

There is a modification that allows you to lock in 4lo, 4hi and 2wd...but it entails some extra relays and wiring. If you search you can find the info on it.

Once you are locked, You can drive as fast as you like. But, there is really no reason for the locker at a high rate of speed. :2cents:

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
A locker would have helped here (sorry about the large pic :D )

This was the first time I engaged mine.

back when that thing was tiny!:D Its a beast now!

·
Registered
318 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Do the relay mod and have fun. It took me 2 hours to do the entire job. Mod is in the late model section. You need to be below 5 mph to engage, then the fun starts. Just don't drive it around town on dry pavement locked.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Once you are locked, You can drive as fast as you like. But, there is really no reason for the locker at a high rate of speed. :2cents:
:rolleyes: SAND high rate of speed the locker works great and when i use it i dont need to engage 4hi(most of the time) and plus its loads more fun, so.. yeah there is a reason for high speed locked driving:D

·
Registered
179 Posts
:rolleyes: SAND high rate of speed the locker works great and when i use it i dont need to engage 4hi(most of the time) and plus its loads more fun, so.. yeah there is a reason for high speed locked driving:D
There may be a slight difference in the sand at high speed. I for one have never had a problem unlocked in the sand while I have momentum(ie. traveling at speed). Going slower in 2wd in the sand will obviously benefit from being locked..........I never said it was not fun.;)

·
Registered
597 Posts
There may be a slight difference in the sand at high speed. I for one have never had a problem unlocked in the sand while I have momentum(ie. traveling at speed). Going slower in 2wd in the sand will obviously benefit from being locked..........I never said it was not fun.;)

it really only helps when you hit a big spot of nothing but thick loose sand that almost seems to stops the truck, other than that if just loads more fun :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.