TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to throw down for a locker boys. I'd like to get a feeling from those with everything from a simple Lock-Right to Detroits in regards to why their happy/not with overall performace. Will the Detroits cause premature tire / driveline wear? Can I get away with a Lock-Right for most situations? Throw it out there for me.

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
i got a lockright..love it.but it aint my daily driver either.
go for it.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
I have a powertrax no slip in rear same maker as the lockrite. same performance as the detroit. only the detroit takes longer to install . you can have a powertrax or a lockrite installed inside hour and half with a buddy. where as you will need to redo your backlash on your gears if you install a detroit plus purchase two carrier bearing gears to have pressed onto the sides of the detroit as the detroit replaces your entire carrier.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TacoDell said:
Locker ain't no woe... it's an asset...

LockRight and save a buck...
Definately - the decision-making process is the woe. Sounds like it's getting easier though. Appreciate the input.

·
Premium Member
2,060 Posts
I had a Lockright in my old 99. Best bang for the buck add-on for off-roading in my opinion. On-road, the road manners weren't too bad at all - in fact, I hardly ever noticed it - but then again, it was on an automatic, and from what I understand, the Lockright road manners are worse with a manual. It'll definitely eat up the rear tires prematurely if you purposely "test" it out like I did when making sharp turns. Also, it was a little dangerous driving on ice and wet slick roads if you're not careful. I had it for about 40K-50K miles on my truck before trading it in after a wreck, and it never ate up any u-joints or caused any driveshaft wear that I was aware of, but it was on a 2wd Prerunner, and it only saw mild, 2-diamond trails at the most on occasion.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I have a lockright, it works great, no problems at all. Since you have a tacoma, go with the powertraxx no slip, it performs and installs basically the same as the lock right, but it offers smoother performance and is quieter.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have a lockrite in my 84 w/37's. My friends w/40's that beat on there trucks start to see failure. I love that locker alot.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Intrepid said:
I have a lockright, it works great, no problems at all. Since you have a tacoma, go with the powertraxx no slip, it performs and installs basically the same as the lock right, but it offers smoother performance and is quieter.
Nice. Did you install the Powertraxx yourself?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
freejake3 said:
Nice. Did you install the Powertraxx yourself?
Note, I said, "I have a lockright" :) I did not install it myself, it came installed. I was recommending the Powertraxx based on the reviews of people in the NE chapter who have it and love it. I have ridden in a truck with it, works as well as a LR, but is quieter and less obvious.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
All automatic lockers are equal in regards to tire wear and being a pain on the pavement and on slick surfaces like ice and snow. Personally, I recommend you save just a while longer and get yourself a selectable locker so you can have your cake and eat it too.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have been running the Power Traxx for a long time without any major issues. I like it OK but it does act up on slick surfaces and in the parking lot around corners at times. As far as slick surface issues though, it matters how you drive and you'll learn how to do it without sliding around too much. :2cents:

I didn't install my locker either, I just switched out 3rd members with a friend who was parting out his truck.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
99FlowedTaco said:
I have a powertrax no slip in rear same maker as the lockrite. same performance as the detroit. only the detroit takes longer to install . you can have a powertrax or a lockrite installed inside hour and half with a buddy. where as you will need to redo your backlash on your gears if you install a detroit plus purchase two carrier bearing gears to have pressed onto the sides of the detroit as the detroit replaces your entire carrier.
I don't know that I agree entirely with that. A Detroit is unquestionably more expensive and harder to install [the latter doesn't matter to me since I do my own gears ;) ], but it is arguably stronger. There don't seem to be as many Detroit failures as with the "lunchbox" types.

Also, having driven both, I find the Detroit to be a bit "smoother" in engagement, disengagement, and backlash. That statement is certainly a subjective opinion.

For most folks, the "lunchbox" is possibly the better alternative, but for those with more torque due to engine conversion or really low gears, the Detroit might be worth the extra $$$/effort. To say that they are the "same" is a bit of a stretch.

My :2cents: .

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
True.
John do you have any clue as to why Detroits have a propensity to self destruct when a U Joint or hub bites the dust. Might wanna think twice about putting one in a front axle. I have not heard good reports for front axle applications.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
There must be thousands of posts on this board alone about lockers by now. It's been a topic of conversation since the board started way back in 99.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Dick, I don't know that Detroits have any greater propensity to frag upon hub or axle joint failure than the lunchboxes, as I haven't broken either on my rig since putting in the front Detroit, or before installing it for that matter. I have blown two rear driveshafts, but that is not at all the same type of impact loading.

I do know that Shannon's front Detroit wents tits up, but that was after multiple [like probably almost a dozen] axle joint failures with his old D44. I would have liked to see the inside of it to examine the failure mode, but it had to be sent off for warranty. I also know that the AZ guys have had some failures as well, so no need to bring those up.

Fundamentally, the construction of the Detroit is more robust, and arguably more precision; maybe it is that same precision that leads to the suggested failure upon sudden release of torque from one side?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts