TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what it would cost (ballpark figure) to have Toyota install a factory rear locker on an 08 FJ that doesn't have one currently??

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
assuming the outers (brakes & shafts) would be reuseable, they would have to get a new housing as well as a 3rd member, wiring, locker cpu. Much cheaper to install an ARB locker/compressor.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
junkyard yourself a housing and elocker :D

·
Registered
4,141 Posts

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Anyone know what it would cost (ballpark figure) to have Toyota install a factory rear locker on an 08 FJ that doesn't have one currently??
the only way a dealership would/could do that is to replace the complete axle assembly with the elocker...figure around $4k for parts and another $500 for labor :rolleyes:

find a reputable gear shop and have an ARB installed.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
can you mod the fj axle to fit an elocker in?

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
can you mod the fj axle to fit an elocker in?
good question..never seen anything about that. you mean the rear 9.5", right?

your mission: find out :p

·
Registered
758 Posts

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
He's probably talking about modifying the housing so an elocker 3rd will fit in the housing of a non-locked FJC.

http://www.4runners.org/writeups/elocker/

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/electric_locker/
that's the old 4x4wire that deals only with the early 8" turbo-6 rearends that came in pre-Tacos and all Runners.
I thought the new FJCs had the same rear diff as the Tacomas...either open 8.4 or the elocker? if so these cannot be modded like the early housings can.

I thought he was referring to the early LC rears...9.5"

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
I thought the new FJCs had the same rear diff as the Tacomas...either open
I thought they weren't........................................................ :confused:

according to arb, they use the rd132, which also the v6 turbo part number.

So it looks like you can...........................................

·
Registered
661 Posts
the only way a dealership would/could do that is to replace the complete axle assembly with the elocker...figure around $4k for parts and another $500 for labor :rolleyes:

find a reputable gear shop and have an ARB installed.
i agree....youre gonna be paying out of the ass going through the dealer

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
I thought they weren't........................................................ :confused:

according to arb, they use the rd132, which also the v6 turbo part number.

So it looks like you can...........................................
Silly me :p
since they take the 132 (replaced the 23) they share the same diff as the Runners and all early 8" 3rds...NOT the Tacoma:rolleyes:

still doesn't answer the question of whether or not the LC rears (not the same as either of the above) can be retroed from open to elocker

·
Registered
5,474 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
I thought the new FJCs had the same rear diff as the Tacomas...either open 8.4 or the elocker?
As it's already been posted. They use a standard 8" V6 third in the non-locked FJC's, not the 8.4" third.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
As it's already been posted. They use a standard 8" V6 third in the non-locked FJC's, not the 8.4" third.
yea, figured that out :p I was still thinking back at the confusion during that Con run with the, uh, yellow fjc :rolleyes: There was quite a bit of talk about why the rearend (along with the one in the factory rep rig later on) died and the rumor was...same bad diffs that got into a batch of '05 Tacoma... :rolleyes:

good to know about the 9.5 though ;)

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
yea we'll never forget that run - :rolleyes:

yea, figured that out :p I was still thinking back at the confusion during that Con run with the, uh, yellow fjc :rolleyes: There was quite a bit of talk about why the rearend (along with the one in the factory rep rig later on) died and the rumor was...same bad diffs that got into a batch of '05 Tacoma... :rolleyes:

good to know about the 9.5 though ;)

·
Registered
304 Posts
I recently converted my FJC from open/open to locked/locked. The stock open diff can be modified to fit the factory e-locker but will cost you to have it modified to work. That is not the route I chose. I was fortunate enough to purchase a stock 3rd member with the entire axle housing for pretty cheap and it was already regeared with 4:56 gears. All that was needed to be done is the unbolting of the old axle housing from the suspension and driveshaft and then the removal of the axles and hubs. Assemble the axles into the new housing and bolt everything back together.
The most expensive part was going to be the computer additions being that there is a seperate ecu that runs through to actuate the e-locker. I found am awesome wiring kit that bypasses the computer all together and runs straight to the e-locker ($100). This also allows me to engage the e-locker when ever I would like to.
Try to find someone that is planning to SAS their FJ. They will not be using the factory axle and e-locker after that. Or like stated from a post previously find one off a FJ that has been in a collision and totaled.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have a DUMB question my friend has a third member that came out of a fjc that is a E-locker I would like to know if it will fit in his 8.4 diff. in his 02 v6 tacoma

1 - 20 of 22 Posts