TTORA Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if a factory E locker from a 1996 4runner would work in my 02 Tacoma. I think the 02 Tacoma has a 8'' with 30 spline? Anyone know diffrent?

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
It will work, you will have to modify the axle housing, cutting, drilling/taping new holes for studs... and wire it up. It's not all that hard, but it takes a considerable amount of time if you want it done right. It would be easier to put an ARB in, unless you can get the elocker for cheap and do the work yourself.

There are numerous writeups on here, and throughout the internet.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool

Yeah its on craiglist for 100 bucks and my dads is a mechanic so I have access to all the tools and time since I am off for summer. Thanks man. I think I am going to do it myself. With the money I save compared to the ARB locker it should be worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
If you screw this up... you will need a new housing. RESEARCH A TON!! It's more than, cut here, drill here and hope it works. Take your time and double, tripple check every measurement. This does have to be done right, two of the studs are 4+" long. I did it on a early toy front axle, it's not hard... but can get ugly fast if you are not careful.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
S

Sounds good. I hate half ass stuff anyways so I will definatley look into it well. All I have is time and I should just do it right the first time.:saw:

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
It will work, you will have to modify the axle housing, cutting, drilling/taping new holes for studs... and wire it up. It's not all that hard, but it takes a considerable amount of time if you want it done right. It would be easier to put an ARB in, unless you can get the elocker for cheap and do the work yourself.

There are numerous writeups on here, and throughout the internet.
who has done this with a Taco rearend? I know that writeup about converting the early open rearends to accomodate the old Elockers but have yet to see anyone do the same with a Tacoma diff.

the runner rear diffs ain't the same as any Taco diff. they are all the old style (even the new Runners) 8", not the same as the Tacoma 8" elocker.
they take the ARB RD23 where the Taco open diff (8.4) takes the RD90

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
S

He is selling me the 4RUNNER Stock diffs and the E locker that was with them??? Maybe easier to swap them out if possible?

·
Registered
131 Posts
You can not put a TRD third in a "8.4"non TRD stock Taco rear.You will need a Tacoma TRD housing.The 4Runner rear is different(coil spring,ifs 8" bolt pattern).The bolt patern on the TRD is the same as the ifs 8" that is why with a little modification it can be installed in a Toy ifs rear.If you look at the bolt patern on the 8.4" you will see how much different it is than the TRD patern.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
S

Very good. It is probably cheaper in the long run just to hook it up with a lockrite or something cheaper. ARB is too much cost for me.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Does anyone run a full spool on the rear. Any opinions?
Dont run a spool, I have a lockright, I love it but occasionally if you're not quick enough to let off the throttle before you turn and allow it to unlock, it will stay locked trying to turn. It's unbearable when it stays locked (rarely) I couldnt imagine a spool all the time, stop being cheap, put an ARB or if money is an issue get the lockright

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Does anyone run a full spool on the rear. Any opinions?
To my knowledge there is not a spool available for the 8.4" rear at this time.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
You can not put a TRD third in a "8.4"non TRD stock Taco rear.You will need a Tacoma TRD housing.The 4Runner rear is different(coil spring,ifs 8" bolt pattern).The bolt patern on the TRD is the same as the ifs 8" that is why with a little modification it can be installed in a Toy ifs rear.If you look at the bolt patern on the 8.4" you will see how much different it is than the TRD patern.
that makes more sense. So, you can adapt the Runner (or other older elocker 8" 3rds) to the Tacoma elocker housing. I guess the question would be, why bother? ...other than to have the much stronger Runner diff in that TRD housing ;)

Have you seen a writeup on this procedure? I've got the one that shows how to get the early elocker 3rd into an early open diff housing but that's it.

some writeups at the bottom of Eric's page:
http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/#electric_lockers

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
SHit. that's right I forgot the 3rd member studs are different and isn't the 3rd housing/axle housing a bit larger for the 8.4" diff?

Sorry about that, I was having a brain fart. Hell I should know better, I've worked on both diffs!

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
SHit. that's right I forgot the 3rd member studs are different and isn't the 3rd housing/axle housing a bit larger for the 8.4" diff?

Sorry about that, I was having a brain fart. Hell I should know better, I've worked on both diffs!

No ice cream for you tonite...and let that be a lesson to you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts