TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, So for my birthday I was going to get BJ spacers and a diff drop from my dad. But apparently since it's my 21st he was going to buy me something better. So I'm thinking a locker.

I was going to get an Aussie but they don't have a V6 locker out yet. So now I'm thinking Lock-Rite. Does anyone have a lock rite and if so would you reccomend that? Are there any other better lockers that I should look at?

The reason I chose lockrite was that on pirate it seems most perferrend either the aussie or lockrite alot more than the ez locker.

Thanks

Ryan

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Drew has a Lock Rite and I had a lock rite in my old 84 and it held up and work really great. If you go look on pirate or some of the other toyota forums you'll find some good deals on WHOLE 3rds with lockers and better gears.

Summit racing has Lock rite's for $215 with free shipping.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Summer really isn't that bad out there, 120*s just sound scary but its not as hot you'd think since it's a dry heat. Me and Pat was stationed in Yuma, Az which about 3 hours west of Phx. We only had to drive a few miles to some great ROCK trails. Eat up some REAL Mex. food while you're there and go down town about the college Mill Av. Lots a nice things to look at and have fun with. LOL

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
91toyota4x4 said:
Yeah man it's really cool out here. There are trails everywhere! It's the first time I've ever been west of Alabama and it's really cool. I'm just glad it's not summer.

Ya man, 120* in the dry heat beats 90* with 100% humidity ANYDAY!!!

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you guys install your lockrights or did you have someone else do it? I think I'm gonna go at it myself :xbeer2: :xsmash:

This is awesome because now the money I was gonna spend on a locker can be put towards a marlin rear bumper! And maybe some rock sliders too! Can't wait for tax returns!

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I'd have someone that KNOWS what they are doing install your locker. Gear set up is really tricky.

Steven

·
Registered
221 Posts
91toyota4x4 said:
Did you guys install your lockrights or did you have someone else do it? I think I'm gonna go at it myself :xbeer2: :xsmash:

This is awesome because now the money I was gonna spend on a locker can be put towards a marlin rear bumper! And maybe some rock sliders too! Can't wait for tax returns!
i called 4wparts here in jax and they quoted me $170 + "screw you in the butt shop fees" ($15 they say). That actually wasn't that bad a quote i thought.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well for the V6 3rd you usually don't need to remove the ring gear to get the locker in, which makes it alot easier than installing it in a 4cyl 3rd. I think I'll go for it, if I screw it up oh well I tried :rolleyes: If I succeed I save $150 and I'm poor so that's good!

Off topic but today we drove out into the mountains/desert and there are trails everywhere here! I wish I had my truck :(

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
91toyota4x4 said:
Well for the V6 3rd you usually don't need to remove the ring gear to get the locker in, which makes it alot easier than installing it in a 4cyl 3rd. I think I'll go for it, if I screw it up oh well I tried :rolleyes: If I succeed I save $150 and I'm poor so that's good!

Off topic but today we drove out into the mountains/desert and there are trails everywhere here! I wish I had my truck :(

Are you sure about that? I had a 4 pin Lock Rite and you have to remove the carrier from the 3rd which is what the ring gear it bolted to. Any time you remove the gears you most reset the backlash or your gears will eat each other over time. If I were you I'd spend the $150 for peace of mind, the $150 you save by doing it your self may/could cost you double. Good Luck

Steven

·
Registered
583 Posts
I'd say have someone do it for you. It really is a tricky job to get the small measurement/gear patterns and all correct. Are you doing a solid pinion collar while you're in there? Or not pulling the pinion?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Fine I won't do it :(

You guys are right (of course) further reasearch showed you have to open the carrier up. I really wanted to install it myself.

Brian who installed yours in Gainesville and did you just bring them the 3rd or your whole truck? I'll pull the 3rd if it's cheaper. I wonder if I can do it all and then bring it to someone to make sure it's all set up properly :confused:

·
FL VP
962 Posts
Hey in the January ish of 4 wheel & off road mag on page 60 the show about putting a lock right in your self ...Might help you decide what you want to do :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts