TTORA Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, some low life oxygen thief siphoned some gas out of my tank last night. When gas prices spiked last year I tried to find a locking gas cap. Now with prices spiking again looks like people are looking for cheap-FREE- gas. Anyone out there find a source for a locking gas cap to fit the '05+ tacos? I looked at trying to put a lock on the door myself but don't trust my skills that much.
Am willing to replace the door with a locking one if some one can point me in the right direction.

· Registered
2,195 Posts
Yea sux that 05+ gas doors dont lock.....i remember reading a thread on toyotanation.com about a guy complaining about his engine dieing a couple of times and after a rigorous dealership inspection they found SUGAR in his gas tank.....punk ass kids opened up his gas cap and started pouring sugar inside. :eek:

· Registered
951 Posts
im thining about getting one too, but are they even worth it. i mean if there plastic, thats pretty easy to break off isn't it? do they have metal ones?

· Registered
76 Posts
i got mine from my local toyota dealer for 17 bucks CDN.

· Registered
41 Posts
I've had a locking gas cap since I bought my truck, friend bought it for me from an auto parts store (almost every single one carries them). It only performs one function so it seems sturdy and isn't likely to break.

Spending 20$ is worth protecting yourself from people stealing your gas or having to go through all the labor of removing objects from your tank after they throw stuff in (they could even throw stuff in that will potentially harm your engine before you even realize anything was wrong).

But this is the Bay Area, California we're talkin about... :rolleyes:

· Registered
2,381 Posts
I bought the Stant model 2 years ago. I had it on the truck for one month and the guts fell out of it. I took it apart and found it to be a total POS. IMO stay away from the Stant. I would rather figure out a way to make the door lock. :2cents:

· Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Slergio said:
I think its a good idea so I searched online, I'll try to post the link to a $14.99 locking gas cap f/ Autozone. http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB...rs=Auto+Store|~REGULAR+PARTS+LOOK+UP|~Gas+Cap
thanks Slegio! I had called around town, Napa, Baxter, Schucks and even Autozone either couldn't get one or it was gonna be weeks. Autozone.com says they have'em in stock should have it in a few days.

I had got them for my previous trucks from the dealer-had one between my '86 4Runner and the '84 for almost 11 years...no luck on getting one from the dealer this time around.

· Premium Member
6,938 Posts
Every time I diagnose a Check engine light with evap codes, there was always a locking gas cap that leaks.they never seem to last long.

It is a double edged sword, shit in the tank, or $90.00 plus to tell you when yer gas cap don't seal.

· Registered
42 Posts
Jomentum said:
Every time I diagnose a Check engine light with evap codes, there was always a locking gas cap that leaks.they never seem to last long.

It is a double edged sword, shit in the tank, or $90.00 plus to tell you when yer gas cap don't seal.
True or you could by a 40.00 OBDII reader and a $15.00 gas cap.. that keeps you under the $90.00 (service fee) and you can clear the code your self and no body gets to pee in your tank. Problem solved. :welder:

· Registered
1,682 Posts
K20Z3Si said:
I think the older ones had it standard didnt they? Wonder why they didnt put em on the newer trucks, at least as an option!
yes, I have a 96 and mine came standard

· Registered
2,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jomentum said:

oh believe me, have been down the route, the stock cap will be in kept in the truck tool box just in case....

· Registered
2,381 Posts
Nicky9 said:
True or you could by a 40.00 OBDII reader and a $15.00 gas cap.. that keeps you under the $90.00 (service fee) and you can clear the code your self and no body gets to pee in your tank. Problem solved. :welder:
Who be pee-in in ma tank? You should be happy if it's just pee! :)

· Registered
738 Posts
Wire a Claymore under your truck, for the next idiot that wants your gas! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.