TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a brief search and could not find any threads that had a write up on what is needed to convert to manual hubs. If anyone knows of a thread or another llink to a different site it would be appreciated. I work at a shop and we are seeing more and more cv boots tearing from lift kits that don't drop the differential. I was not sure if the axles themselves were diferent and if you could just press a new hub and bearing into the knuckle. We honestly have not seen enough locking hubs as they seem to be pretty rare so I have not been able to compare them side by side.

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
All you really need is the spindle assemblies (with bearings) and the hubs & CV's. Junkyards are your best bet. The only issue is whether or not you have ABS. The manual spindles will not have a hole for the ABS sensor, so if you have ABS it will be disabled.

For more money, Off-road Solutions has a conversion kit, I seem to recall Downey having one also but I don't think it has bearings.

I found this on the 'defacto' TTORA info page: http://www.parksoffroad.com/tacoma mods/orsmanhub/orsmanhub.htm

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2002 Tacoma I converted over to manual hubs. I used a 95 model Tacoma donor truck. The axles are different but the knuckles and wheel bearings are the same. You will need to atleast get the manual hubs, bearing hub, cv axles, and new wheel bearings. When you press out the old hub it will destroy your wheel bearings. So just press out the old bearing and hub and press the new one in. Then put in your axles and manual hubs and your ready to ride. I would go through a junkyard would be a lot cheaper than anyone else I'm sure. Very easy to do and well worth it only takes a few minutes.

·
Random Dude
1,043 Posts
For the most part its probably not worth it. The conversion, on a good day, costs around $1000. You can do the diff drop mod far cheaper, even with a set of replacement CVs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I disagree if you shop around you can probably get it cheaper than that. I do agree that I would do the diff drop but manual hubs would help. I picked up a couple of extra miles per gallon with them not to mention the fact that the steering was a little heavy with the locker and factory set up, now I just unlock the hubs and you can't even tell it's there, until you get offroad and need it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
denver d said:
I did a brief search and could not find any threads that had a write up on what is needed to convert to manual hubs. If anyone knows of a thread or another llink to a different site it would be appreciated. I work at a shop and we are seeing more and more cv boots tearing from lift kits that don't drop the differential. I was not sure if the axles themselves were diferent and if you could just press a new hub and bearing into the knuckle. We honestly have not seen enough locking hubs as they seem to be pretty rare so I have not been able to compare them side by side.
The wheel hub and outer axle is different. The knuckle is the same. You can press out the ADD hub and replace it with a free wheel hub and bearing. Then you need the cv axle (although the only difference is the outer shaft), and the locking hubs and misc. hardware.

This http://fastq.com/~sschaefer/4runner.html is a 4runner site, but under drivetrain there are 3 good writeups with some factory manual pdf's pertaining to locking hubs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts