TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, maybe this is a silly NooB question, but how does the spare tire carrier lock work? I have the window sticker that indicates one of the options I have is the locking spare, and sure enough my tool bag includes the "key", but I'm baffled as to how it goes onto the jack handle to "unlock" the tire. Even though the item seems to be a Toyota factory item, I can't find any reference to it in the manual.

Below is a photo of the "breakdown kit" along with the "key" (the shiny metal cylinder.) From its design I assume it hooks onto one of the rods but I can't figure out how. Any help, especially with photos or drawings, would be much appreciated.

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts
THe key hooks onto the rod below it. the rod with the hook.

You can leave the key attached to that piece at all times in the tool bag

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts
Take the rod with the hooked end and clip it to the key (exactly as you have it pictured)
The tip of the hook will pass through the middle hole of the key-

The Key has a male keyed end that will insert into the female lock attached to the spare tire winch.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GOt it! Thanks for the quick replies, guys!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, one more question on this topic: Is there an easy way for me to remove the lock? I just spent 10 minutes trying to get the "key" to go into the lock and couldn't. I'll keep trying but at this point my inclination is to remove the whole lock mechanism. First of all, I've never heard of people stealing truck spares (they'd need the jack handle mechanism anyway) and second, If it takes me 10 minutes just to get the spare out on a sunny afternoon in my driveway, what's it going to be like in the middle of the night in the pouring rain or driving snow?

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts
Martinjmpr said:
First of all, I've never heard of people stealing truck spares (they'd need the jack handle mechanism anyway) and second,
LOL, you just jinxed yourself.
My father had his spare stolen when he was parked at the airport.
it was a 91 plain jane 4-banger.

If you drop the spare- you should be able to remove the winch and lock

·
Administrator
18,217 Posts
Martinjmpr said:
First of all, I've never heard of people stealing truck spares (they'd need the jack handle mechanism anyway) and second, If it takes me 10 minutes just to get the spare out on a sunny afternoon in my driveway, what's it going to be like in the middle of the night in the pouring rain or driving snow?
Trust me, there are plenty faster ways to get the spare out. I could have the spare out and be gone in under a minute with the right tools.

Its cheap and easy to buy a 6' cable and lock to secure your tire to the frame. Wont stop all thieves, but at least provides a little extra protection.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ShowStop said:
Trust me, there are plenty faster ways to get the spare out. I could have the spare out and be gone in under a minute with the right tools.

Its cheap and easy to buy a 6' cable and lock to secure your tire to the frame. Wont stop all thieves, but at least provides a little extra protection.
Yeah, that strikes me as being a lot easier than trying to "thread the needle" with that dinky "key" mechanism on the jack handle.

The Ranger I had used a better system: The place where you insert the jack handle to winch down the spare was covered by a "plug" that had a key in it. So you had to use a key (which was an extra-long version of the ignition key) to remove the plug and after that, you just lowered the tire like normal.

Well, I'll mess with it this weekend if we get decent weather (although we're supposed to get snow - just like we have for the previous 9 weekends! :( )

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
Martinjmpr
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing