• Rear

Votes: 17 77.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a LockRight last week and have not put in yet because i am trying to decide if i want to put the locker in the rear or the front.I heard if you put it in the front with stock birfs they break real easily and in the rear it just sucks to DD.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
I voted rear cause of issues mentioned in the front. At least you'll have 3 wheel drive. Get Longs and move it to the front later and a selectable in the rear... that's kinda my plan anyway... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
dd'ing rear autolockers isn't bad at all

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
ive been dd'ing a lockright for 5 years...not bad at all

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
My 88 has an Aussie (basically same design) in the rear. I don't DD it anymore, but I drive it to and from wheeling and usually on weekends (assuming it's running). You'll be fine with it in the rear.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I had a LockRite in the front of my Tacoma, loved it! I twinstick'd my tcase to help on the trails. Gotta elocker sitting in my garage if your interested.....

·
Registered
710 Posts
For a DD: I'd take anything but welded or spool in the rear. I'd want a selectable in the front for driving in the snow and ice on the road.

FYI, I ran a spool in the front with stock birfs and 35's, and didn't break one. I don't think you wheel like I do, so you'd probably be ok with stock birfs for a while. :D

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
A lockright in a DD is not the worst thing, but it's not the best either. I wouldn't worry about putting it in either the front or the back in that respect. You can learn how to drive without breaking birfs if you put it up front. If I had to decide I would say rear only because a long day of trail riding with a locked front can be a PITA. It's great when you need it, but riding from one trail to the other on level ground with a front locker gets old when there's lots of turns.

With my tacoma I had a no-slip in the rear and a lockright up front. If I do anything with my 4Runner it will probably be a no-slip in the back and a LSD or selectable locker up front.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had a LockRite in the front of my Tacoma, loved it! I twinstick'd my tcase to help on the trails. Gotta elocker sitting in my garage if your interested.....

Sorry for hijacking
How much for the elocker?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I'm welded in the rear, and lockrite in the front. Broke my first birf ever a couple weeks ago at mountianside, and this rig has been through some chit.

Maybe I'm just more tolerant than a lot of folks, I have NO problems DD'ing a welded rear.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Put the locker in the back last night. Finally stopped raining so just test drove it. Did some u tuns and went to a parking lot and was trying to make it act up. At sharp turns i would hear it click once or twice,and the truck seemed to want to jump forward not sure if i just needed to give it more gas or if the locker had to do with it, but anyways i was trying to make it act up. All i had to do was push the clutch in and it was fine. If thats all i have to worry about then this will be no problem at all.

·
"Terry Tate"
3,511 Posts
Put the locker in the back last night. Finally stopped raining so just test drove it. Did some u tuns and went to a parking lot and was trying to make it act up. At sharp turns i would hear it click once or twice,and the truck seemed to want to jump forward not sure if i just needed to give it more gas or if the locker had to do with it, but anyways i was trying to make it act up. All i had to do was push the clutch in and it was fine. If thats all i have to worry about then this will be no problem at all.
That's about it. You will learn how it reacts to driving conditions and learn to adjust accordingly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
16 Participants
vvcrow
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing