TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...original plan was to build up a '67 Stout with my rig,already have a Stout body(its in Montana)....but plans have changed.Figured out a way to have 2 rigs in case Jo wants to drive or when the kids start driving.I just picked this up...so plan is to drive it for a bit while collecting parts.

'83 rust free w/100k I will get some better pics this weekend...this is one of the pics that was sent to me

Plan
Swap frt axles with my runner..run full hydro on the '83
fj80 rear w ARB
linked frt/rear(sitting low with 37's...maybe 40's)
exo
2lt or vw TDI (its going to be diesel)
dual cases
yada yada

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
let's keep this one straighter than the runner ;)

looks good! sorry I wasn't feeling any better when you called. I'll give you a call tomorrow if I keep progressing.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
you going to go with tube or plate front bumper? Let me know if I can help with anything.

have you ever done an exo on a step side? :D might think about something like that wth those fiberglass sides.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you going to go with tube or plate front bumper? Let me know if I can help with anything.

have you ever done an exo on a step side? :D might think about something like that wth those fiberglass sides.
I am just doing quick tube bumpers f/r for now since it will be changed in the future.....it will be getting an exo..this bed is some heavy duty fiberglass though....I have a few ideas already on how to do the bed(for instance above the fender is a perfect place for my hi-lift,the steps are the same size as ammo boxes...there is plenty room so I am not taking up the entire bed)....the wheel wells will be getting cut because I want it to sit about 6'4" to 6'6" when finished

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
instead of cutting the wheel wells, it may be better to just make new ones. You can use the old ones as molds , then be able to put them back on if you ever decide to later down the road.

definitely be better than chopping up the rare pieces that they are. Hell as long as I don't do any fiberglass in my garage (had to promise after last fiberglass project) I would be willing to help with the project. Fiberglass isn't hard to work with, just a "little dusty" LOL

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The wheel wells are molded in with the bedsides

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I did not snap alot of pics yet...just been driving it...but here is a better one for now....going to make some bumpers(at least the templates) this week and have a few odds and ends to do on it

·
4,068 Posts
Nice find! I have been eyeing up and '83 here at the plant that I see a few time a week in the parking lot....not near as good of condition though...

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice find! I have been eyeing up and '83 here at the plant that I see a few time a week in the parking lot....not near as good of condition though...
Yeah I was not going to pass it up for the price I paid...been driving it daily up here...man this thing runs good...the choke needs some work. I just bought a 6ft plow for it that I have to pick up this weekend (I sold my quad with the plow on it to buy the truck) just plowing my driveway with it so it will not be hard the truck at all...I also snatched up a brand new in cab cage for it for about half price. I dont think it will be getting built until spring...just want to have all the parts in the garage before I start tearing it apart....I have found a few good deals so the parts pile is going to grow here soon...I think I already sourced a motor (2lt-e) so that will be a big purchase here soon
I have been thinking on just linking the front and keeping leafs in the rear since it will have street time...not sure yet(but it will be ALOT cheaper)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well have not done much..picked up some parts...suspension seats and harnesses I need to make mounts for

have the plow mounted for the driveway....going to have to find another truck to plow with once this goes fully under the knife(that means another toyota in the drive:D

and took of the MT's and put on AT's on FJ 80 wheels since its seeing street duty now

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well small update....tomorrow will be the last trip for the 4runner....I will not be building the '83..it is just too nice to put on the trail..I am going to plow with it this winter then do a complete rebuild on it next summer,a few things need to be addressed on it that have been bugging me...and I will have a 22re to throw in it. But I recently bought a '85 SR5 rust free from AZ to build...have to pick it up next week.I like the extra room in the cab,plus there is room in the bed to throw a bench seat for extra passengers. I need to do the timing chain/cover on it,it runs but water in oil,pulled the valve cover when I looked at it and the guides are broke....will see how well it runs after to see if I am going to run it or my LCE motor in the 4runner..seems to run fin but I only ran it for about 1 minute with the milkshake mix......one of 22re's will end up in the '83 either way...also getting a running '86 parts truck in the deal(frame rusted in half with 22r)...so this thread will get going shortly here....for now here is a pic of the '85...it has new Destination M/T and the cap is installed that you see behind it since this pic was taken...the bed is also full of parts(hood,4" lift springs extra head ect.)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You really know how to find the clean trucks. So u still gonna swap axles from the 4runner into the project?
There are alot of clean trucks out there...but they want too much for them,hard part is finding the ones at a great price....I paid 2k for this one with the '86 parts truck
as for the axles just the front axle...rear will be an e-locked 80....would like to drive on the street a bit more and do some expedition type trips.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
just picked it up....crappy cell pic...will get better ones tomorrow when I unload it....going to start wrenching on it a bit tomorrow too...but its uber clean for an '85

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
...but its uber clean for an '85
It won't be for long with you driving it!:p

( I had to say it for your comment in the other thread! LOL)

nice find!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It won't be for long with you driving it!:p

!
There will be some body armor involved with this one.....we want to do more expedition type trips so it will be built to accommodate those trips as well...we have always said that trip was the best(except for being in the 4runner with no doors/top in the 40deg nights)

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
I know you have already planned and revised and planned some more on how you are going to armor the new truck, I was just pulling your chain as you were with mine!

that trip was a good one and Jessi and I had a lot of fun thanks to you and your family. Even with all the issues I was having with my truck and towing it all the way down there, we considered that trip as one of our best as well!

:xbeer1: Here's to hoping for many more in the future together!

as I referenced in the other thread, Pam and Jessi have asked me a few times about the winter run, and from what I understand, Pam is constantly in contact with Joann...I think you and I could be in constant trouble.LOL

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
When are you going to start posting progress photos now that you have it home and already under the knife? (my assumption)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When are you going to start posting progress photos now that you have it home and already under the knife? (my assumption)
I ended up doing a bunch of running around ALL DAY yesterday.....still waiting for the brown truck with the parts to fix the timing chain/cover...I am just going thru the bed today(its filled with spare parts) and thats about it for now. As you know I am very limited on garage space so I am trying to figure the tear down of one and build the other too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts