TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it need to be stored in a dry place. Should I need to do more, like spraying the innards with WD40 or something to keep off rust? And wrap the engine with plastic?

Or is this a bad idea?

Reason is I plan to buy a high mileage Taco and the loan that I will take out will include the cost of buying a spare engine to replace the stock in 3 to 4 years later.

How about a spare transmission? Same treatment but use ATF?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
what do you think high mileage is and how many miles do you plan on doing in 3-4 years. as for storing a motor. don't wrap it unless you use some desiccant materiel under the wrap. or if its not completely assembled you could just put a healthy coat of lube on open parts. also put in fresh oil, maybe flush the coolant and oil too. and block off places where mice could build homes.

·
Banned
966 Posts
as elliot has said, wrapping causes moisture to get trapped. dessicant packs only last so long.

buy a $30 oil filled electric heater, place heater next to motor, cover both with a large box (or the like) with some holes in top and on side near bottom, leave heater on low. voila, no (minimal) oxidation.

also be sure to drain all the fluids. adding alcohol to the crank will keep water from combining with any oil that may be left which will sludge over time. however, alcohol will eventually evap away so you may need to check the level every 6 months or so. then when it comes time for use you simply drain out the alcohol, open oil fill, etc, and then crank the heater for about a day so the alcohol can completely evap away.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Ideally you want to yank the plugs and put a little oil in the jugs then spin the drive shaft a couple of times with a wrench then reinstall the plugs. Then seal up all of the exhaust, intake, and cooling system openings. Then put the cleaned and prepped engine in an air tight plastic bag with some desiccant packs inside and crate it up. You should also remove any accessories like AC compressor, PS pump, alternator etc. and bag and tag those separately.

When you get all of that done and get good at it. Please swing by my place and do the one I've had sitting out in the garage on an engine stand for months now.

It's just another one of those many little projects I can't seem to get around too somehow. Probably a result of post whoring instead of getting projects done.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
I had the opportunity to buy an 800 mile engine accessories and all for about $1200. Would you turn it down if you had the cash. Got any idea what it would cost to buy new from Toyota? LOL

·
Registered
732 Posts
Dick Foster said:
I had the opportunity to buy an 800 mile engine accessories and all for about $1200. Would you turn it down if you had the cash. Got any idea what it would cost to buy new from Toyota? LOL

Dick you should be ashamed of your self and send Steve some more money.

That way Karma won't be a problem for you.LOL

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Hey he asked for $1200 and that's exactly what I paid him. I didn't bargin or haggle one little bit. If I had, I may have some guilt, as it is I just feel luckey that I have such a good friend.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your input and advice.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Fogging Oil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
tomstin
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing