TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the process of installing a total chaos lt kit for my runner. Next will be the rear. Any ideas or suggestions to get some travel out of that axle?

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
523 Posts
Sense you have a long travel front end. I'm going to guess that you are doing some prerunning. I would ditch the coils and go with a leaf under conversion for more stability at higher speeds. :2cents:

Andrew

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
If the truck is used for Desert running then you are going to want to with a wider rear axle like a T100 and go leafs like 62" Deavers.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The 4Runner is going to be a versatile build up; being used for prerunning/chasing/slight rockcrawling trail runs/recovery and as a daily driver. I thought about going with leafs but that answer just seems too simple, maybe that's because its the right answer.

Right now I'm thinking some Old Man Emu coils http://www.arbusa.com/coil_springs.php , longer links and emulsion shocks. Thoughts?

I'm trying to find that fine line and make 1 vehicle be as versatile as possible. Is this possible?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I second the leaf spring swap. I have done it on my 1990 4Runner and I couldn't be happier.
With the stock 4-link you will always be chasing broken links, broken link mounts, expensive coils, or in the case I saw a couple of weeks ago, broken coil spring bucket off the frame.
My leafs have been a bolt it and forget it. I did go with stock chevy main leaf and custom cut the rest of the pack. I can't wait to get a set of Deaver's.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I second the leaf spring swap. I have done it on my 1990 4Runner and I couldn't be happier.
With the stock 4-link you will always be chasing broken links, broken link mounts, expensive coils, or in the case I saw a couple of weeks ago, broken coil spring bucket off the frame.
My leafs have been a bolt it and forget it. I did go with stock chevy main leaf and custom cut the rest of the pack. I can't wait to get a set of Deaver's.
Did you spring under or over and what length?

·
Registered
361 Posts
theirs a guy on DR that has a 96 4runner, he did a really nasty 4 link setup on it, but you are looking at going through the bed either with a leaf or a 4 link with the shock mounts because of the travel you would need to acheive with such.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
theirs a guy on DR that has a 96 4runner, he did a really nasty 4 link setup on it, but you are looking at going through the bed either with a leaf or a 4 link with the shock mounts because of the travel you would need to acheive with such.
Do you have the DR link to that runner?

I'm prepared to go into the bed and tie it into a simple cage if need be. :saw: However, it won't be a hack job sacrificing the functionality of the runners bed/cab sleeping/storing versatility. That too me just wouldn't make since, I'd be better off with a taco if I was going to do that. Asking a lot hu! :confused:

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
361 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Did you spring under or over and what length?

64"

I originally went thru the bed with my shock hoop. I was able to use the area under the bed cage for storage and built a rack for the top for more storage. I was never able to keep the dust and water out of the 6 holes. The cage eventually broke (too thin tubing on a major support) and I now run the shocks under bed at a steep angle. Comparing the two set ups, the bed cage worked better but with the downside of dust and water leak I will not build another.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you have any pictures of either setup?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
can't get either of those links to work for me. Thanks though.

·
Registered
174 Posts
your better off going leaf spring in the rear it easy other wise use ome 2' lift springs and make new lower and upper links and retane stock shock location get longer shocks and mosdef limiting straps

·
Registered
361 Posts
your better off going leaf spring in the rear it easy other wise use ome 2' lift springs and make new lower and upper links and retane stock shock location get longer shocks and mosdef limiting straps
to get the travel he needs, hes gonna have to go through the bed, no way around that, you wont get any travel with the stock shock locations.

·
Registered
384 Posts
i might be getting a 2000 4runner to build into a prerunner. I dont know much about the 4runner other then it uses some of the same parts as the tacoma. After reading this im guessing it has a independent rear suspension. I was thinking to do the deaver 62" springs. I know that most people that use this put the axle on top of the leafs. If i were to put the axle underneath to get more upward travel before the tires hit the wheel well is that possible or would i get alot of axle wrap? Sorry to bringing back a old thread but i guess its better i searched instead of repeating the same question.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts