TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm contemplating going LT, as a lot of the wheeling i'm doing in SoCal right now is in the desert. I do enjoy hitting trails in big bear and rocky trails as well. However, I plan on moving to Colorado or somewhere similar after college.

Would LT be better or worse for rocks? I'd imagine better due to the travel, but perhaps the simplicity of the stock width is preferred? :confused:

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
you can usually find me in the desert but I do run trails in big bear occasionally as well. it does great! it really helps in those off camber sections where stock trucks get tippy due to the width. the only thing that really sucks is when you straddle ruts (3-4 feet deep) I get nervous because the front is wider than the rear so I have to watch my rear wheels and so does my passenger from time to time. If you had a matching width rear axle it'd be pimp on trails for sure. if you had 4WD it would be even better since I'm only locked in the rear full-time. :2cents: I say go for it, but like I said, I spend 90% of my time in the desert so obviously you can see where I take advantage of it. I'm sure Ted will chime in he goes to Moab and stuff with his.

·
wut?
1,466 Posts
Long travel is noting but IFS on steroids. You can drive it most places:

The wider track eats the off camber with ease.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Obvisouly LT wont be as good in the slow stuff as a SAS, but it's definately better than stock. Long travel is awesome on the road too...way better than stock. Corners like crazy.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Yeah kevin go LT!!!!!! hahaha you and Tam already have the Samurai to crawl rocks with hahaha

Im sure you already seen these videos but theres a 4runner and a Nissan xterra doing some trails with a Total Chaos LT kit on

Go on Chaosfab.com and click on the videos section

Here ya go!
http://www.chaosfab.com/media.html

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that is a pretty sweet vid..he also appeared to be locked up front and had a crawler :)

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
On a side note, Ted's truck is set up with a wider track in the rear with shocks through the bed giving him some sick articulation. If you don't do this, your rear could limit your truck...like with my truck.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right on Jade, so you're from CO. Would you rather have invested your money in a SAS looking back, or you like your LT?

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
I like the LT because I like to go (sorta) fast off-road as well as the ability to still do some technical slow trails. The LT was a bolt-on install, no cutting/welding. It's kind of a happy medium (for me). If I could have a crawler and a desert truck, I would. I'd have a lot of other things too <shrug>.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Jade said:
I like the LT because I like to go (sorta) fast off-road as well as the ability to still do some technical slow trails. The LT was a bolt-on install, no cutting/welding. It's kind of a happy medium (for me). If I could have a crawler and a desert truck, I would. I'd have a lot of other things too <shrug>.
I'm kinda in the same boat as you...going fast is my main thing, but I like the slow stuff once in a while too. The way I see it, it's easier to go slow with LT than it is to go fast with SAS.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very true, i'd like to be able to go fast when in the desert. I already have a project samurai for crawling, so it's either time to invest in 33's and gears or LT the taco.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
CYi5 said:
Very true, i'd like to be able to go fast when in the desert. I already have a project samurai for crawling, so it's either time to invest in 33's and gears or LT the taco.
Kev its time to LT the taco!!!!!!!!!! hahaha you live in cali!!!! but once you move east you'll still be able to crawl!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts