TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, this is my first post. I'm looking to buy an 84-85 toyota 4x4 truck for an offroad rig. I came across an ad for an 85 with a LWB (long wheel base?) was there an option for a longer wheel base on these trucks? the ad states a solid axle, so it was before the ifs switch.

thanks for your help!

·
Registered
224 Posts
longbed maybe?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did they offer a long bed version? and i would want to install the all pro offroad flatbed , would this not fit with a longbed?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Did they offer a long bed version? and i would want to install the all pro offroad flatbed , would this not fit with a longbed?
yeh they did offer a longbed version..check out my soon to be project truck...it looks like it doesnt run..but it runs just great...its a turbo diesel by the way..but the made longbeds in gas engines as well.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
They made longbeds - but I'm not sure if that affected the wheelbase or not - seems like they just have more overhang at the rear. Standard wheelbase on these trucks/4Runners is 103.3"

·
Registered
395 Posts
The wheelbase is longer on the longbed models. Look at the length of the front of the bed. It's almost the same as after the wheel. I personally wish mine was a long bed, but I've gotten over obsticles others couldn't because of my short wheel base.

·
Registered
238 Posts
why would you want the longer wheelbase for wheeling? just increasing your chances of getting hung up and oversized (at least for our trails in WA). Even if you bob the the bed, you're right back to square one. Just wondering. :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
why would you want the longer wheelbase for wheeling? just increasing your chances of getting hung up and oversized (at least for our trails in WA). Even if you bob the the bed, you're right back to square one. Just wondering. :)
I prefer a LWB,actually stretching mine another 4 inches in the near future.....there are pros and cons to both. I do like how an x-cab on a SWB frame looks w/flatbed though

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Ahhh - the eternal debate ... IMHO, the 103 - 105 range is perfect for all around trail 'wheeling, but it depends on what you 'wheel. For example, double cab long bed seems to be the setup in NorCal, while standard cab shortbed or 4Runner is the setup here in Colorado (you don't want to be making gazillion point turns on shelf roads!). The longer wheelbase is better for climbing up ledges/cliffs because you can have one axle on the top pulling you up. Shorter wheelbase is better for getting over rocks, bumps, etc because of the increased breakover angle. Generally, the longer the wheelbase, the bigger tires and more lift you need.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
the longbeds with standard cabs have the same wheelbase as the extended cabs with a standard bed. the standard bed is 6 ft, the longbed is 7 feet.

i have seen 2wds with longbeds and extended cabs, but have never seen that in a 4x4

1 - 10 of 10 Posts