TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A frind of mine is looking for an 85 ex cab and has a budget of 4,500 or so. I thought you all might know of one around the Virginia area that is all ready built or somthing. He is located in Roanoke. I talked to this guy last night, what do you think of this truck? it has an auto trans that was rebuilt 5 years ago. Would this be a good platform to start with? Thanks for the help, Brad
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...d&advanced=&isp=y&start_year=1984&cardist=233

·
Registered
272 Posts
auto + 22re = painfully slow.... id look for a 5spd....my 85 with the stock 28" tires, and 5spd is alow i cant imagine the 22re with a auto..

·
Registered
58 Posts
snutty said:
auto + 22re = painfully slow.... id look for a 5spd....my 85 with the stock 28" tires, and 5spd is alow i cant imagine the 22re with a auto..
Jezus, Snutty - put the pedal to the metal. I do fine with my little 22RE, auto tran & 33's. Quit yer whining. :xcrybaby: LOL!!!! :D

·
Registered
272 Posts
MuddinMama said:
Jezus, Snutty - put the pedal to the metal. I do fine with my little 22RE, auto tran & 33's. Quit yer whining. :xcrybaby: LOL!!!! :D

you must be like in 1st gear going up some hills then :) i got use to the power of the 2.7l 4cyn then droped to the 2.4 :( the 22re is sllloww

·
Registered
58 Posts
snutty said:
you must be like in 1st gear going up some hills then :) i got use to the power of the 2.7l 4cyn then droped to the 2.4 :( the 22re is sllloww
Ya, some hills can be tough, depending on if I can get a running start or not. Hahaha. Really looooong hills suck, like crossing the Rocky mountains on I70 west of Denver. That's a "can't do more than 40MPH" climb & it is embarrassing to be passed by big old semis. My carbed 22R in my '84 was worse in the higher elevations though, so I don't complain too much about the 22RE. I've done about every engine mod you can to my '94, trying to gain as much HP as I can...just shy of dropping a Turbo or small block in it.

I had a 22RE in my old Celica hatchback & that thing was way fast. Of course, it didn't have mud tires, either. :p

What's the gearing in your POS anyhow?

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
MuddinMama said:
Ya, some hills can be tough, depending on if I can get a running start or not. Hahaha. Really looooong hills suck, like crossing the Rocky mountains on I70 west of Denver. That's a "can't do more than 40MPH" climb & it is embarrassing to be passed by big old semis. My carbed 22R in my '84 was worse in the higher elevations though, so I don't complain too much about the 22RE. I've done about every engine mod you can to my '94, trying to gain as much HP as I can...just shy of dropping a Turbo or small block in it.

I had a 22RE in my old Celica hatchback & that thing was way fast. Of course, it didn't have mud tires, either. :p

I hear you on the "terminal velocity" thing! I had a 22R in my '83, and it was sort of OK when I ran 33's with 4.10's, but when I swapped on my trail tires [38 swampers], the wind direction mattered. :eek: 5th was useless, and often 65 MPH was barely achievable on flat ground.

I threw a timing chain and put in a 4.3, and boy was it a difference! Instead of lo-2nd at 4,000 RPM's, I could just idle up to an obstacle, and stand on it if necessary. I was clocked by an early Firebird at....let's just say in excess of three figures on my 33's.

I then rebuilt the 22R, and put it in my '80 Celica coupe along with an A40D to replace the limping 20R/3-speed auto with nearly 200k on it, and it was a great powertrain for yet another 4-5 years. I really miss my old Celica, that was the toughest car I have ever driven. It took seven collisions before I finally couldn't drive it anymore; it seems that brown must have been a magnet for idiots who couldn't obey traffic laws, signals, etc.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Murderman said:
I hear you on the "terminal velocity" thing! I had a 22R in my '83, and it was sort of OK when I ran 33's with 4.10's, but when I swapped on my trail tires [38 swampers], the wind direction mattered. :eek: 5th was useless, and often 65 MPH was barely achievable on flat ground.

I threw a timing chain and put in a 4.3, and boy was it a difference! Instead of lo-2nd at 4,000 RPM's, I could just idle up to an obstacle, and stand on it if necessary. I was clocked by an early Firebird at....let's just say in excess of three figures on my 33's.

I then rebuilt the 22R, and put it in my '80 Celica coupe along with an A40D to replace the limping 20R/3-speed auto with nearly 200k on it, and it was a great powertrain for yet another 4-5 years. I really miss my old Celica, that was the toughest car I have ever driven. It took seven collisions before I finally couldn't drive it anymore; it seems that brown must have been a magnet for idiots who couldn't obey traffic laws, signals, etc.
I hear ya there. I can easily cruise @ 70-80MPH on a wind-free flat surface; it just takes awhile gettin' the old girl up to that speed. Hahaha. Toss in an incline & some breeze & I might as well can OD. I have 4.56's now (stock), so when the 35's go on there (soon, too), it's re-gear, drop in a 22RE Turbo or bigger block engine.

Weren't those some great cars???? I just loved the old dark-brown '82 Celica "fastback", with the flip-up headlights, inherited from my Dad. Cremated in a garage fire @ my brother's house years ago. Twas a sad day indeed. :( We've had 4 Celicas in my family: the red with white roof '76 coupe (traded in for the '82), the green '77 "Road Rat" (both manual 5's), the tan '80 coupe (crashed) & the '82. The '82 was the coolest. :D

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
MM, might be better to just splurge on the 4.3 than put alot of $$$ into a turbo; trust me , you won't be disappointed!

I am partial to the '80 coupe out of emotion, but could see the '82 being pretty killer too.

·
Registered
272 Posts
MuddinMama said:

my junk has 4.10s in it :) slow slow slow....i can cruise 80-70 easily just on the hills it sucks..cuz semis/tow truck drivers all pass me :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
snutty said:
my junk has 4.10s in it :) slow slow slow....i can cruise 80-70 easily just on the hills it sucks..cuz semis/tow truck drivers all pass me :D
I think I could pass you. Hahaha. :eek:

·
Registered
53 Posts
there is one in fincastle that does not run (no tranny) that has been setting here for like 5 years and the guy will not sell it it is just rusting it sucks I want it so bad. I think it is an 83 it is setting on 35'swith like 4" of lift. its sweet.

·
Registered
58 Posts
chasintail said:
there is one in fincastle that does not run (no tranny) that has been setting here for like 5 years and the guy will not sell it it is just rusting it sucks I want it so bad. I think it is an 83 it is setting on 35'swith like 4" of lift. its sweet.
1984 was the first year for the 4-Runner: http://www.off-road.com/toyota/4runner/history.html

So just go tow it out of the guy's yard. :D

·
Registered
429 Posts
snutty said:
Imagine an 85' 4Runner on 35's, 22RE, 5speed, and stock 4.10 gears.

Its just a tad sluggish. :D

·
Split it open-Eat it out!
659 Posts
I ran a 79 toy 4x4 with 35's and 4.10 gears, after I rebuilt the motor I could start off in second gear without having to slip to clutch (first gear went out on me)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't want to hear how your guy's massive 22RE's have no power. Try running a carb'd 1.3 in a zuk on 34's. Even with 5.12's I can barely get to 65mph and I'm pushing over 4000rpms.

Anyways, back on subject...
Have you checked over on pirate for any trucks. Toyotas always come and go in the for sale section there. Mostly west coast, states, but east coast also shows up there.

·
Split it open-Eat it out!
659 Posts
M.martian said:
I don't want to hear how your guy's massive 22RE's have no power. Try running a carb'd 1.3 in a zuk on 34's. Even with 5.12's I can barely get to 65mph and I'm pushing over 4000rpms.

Anyways, back on subject...
Have you checked over on pirate for any trucks. Toyotas always come and go in the for sale section there. Mostly west coast, states, but east coast also shows up there.
Sounds like you're in need of a bigger motor. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts