TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 86 x-cab 4x4 with a 22re in it. i am currently running 31" tires and dont plan on going any larger on this truck, its my winter daily driver. from the research i have done on here and other places i have decided to go with 4.56 gears front and rear. can anyone recommend a reputable place to get the gears from? i would like to buy a fully assembled set up that i can remove the old and replace with the new with as little down time as possible.

thanks for any help

jason

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
i have an 86 x-cab 4x4 with a 22re in it. i am currently running 31" tires and dont plan on going any larger on this truck, its my winter daily driver. from the research i have done on here and other places i have decided to go with 4.56 gears front and rear. can anyone recommend a reputable place to get the gears from? i would like to buy a fully assembled set up that i can remove the old and replace with the new with as little down time as possible.

thanks for any help

jason
location? that might help :rolleyes:

otherwise order geared diffs from ECGS and then send them back your cores. no down time at all.

·
Registered
992 Posts
whats ECGS?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
location? that might help :rolleyes:

otherwise order geared diffs from ECGS and then send them back your cores. no down time at all.
my appologies, i thought it was in my profile with my name, im in allentown pa 18102. i talked to ecgs through email and through private message on here, got two different prices for the same setup from the same person so not too sure i want to deal with them.

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
my appologies, i thought it was in my profile with my name, im in allentown pa 18102. i talked to ecgs through email and through private message on here, got two different prices for the same setup from the same person so not too sure i want to deal with them.
contact CPerry here (member), they are a straight-up company with a great track record with ttora. can't beat their 5-yr warranty either.

·
Banned
4,181 Posts
you may have been receiving a discount on the board here

·
Registered
310 Posts
Definately go with ECGS. You will not go wrong. Why do you want to change gears so bad. The 4.10s that you have are fine for 31s. Hell, I ran 35s on 4.10 gears on the street.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Definately go with ECGS. You will not go wrong. Why do you want to change gears so bad. The 4.10s that you have are fine for 31s. Hell, I ran 35s on 4.10 gears on the street.
the reason for wanting to change gears is to try and get better mileage and power out of the truck. it cant get out of its own way and i get passed by motorhomes going uphill to work everyday. i cant get it out of 4th gear on the highway and it tops out at about 65-70. im not looking to gain more speed, just better gas mileage and a little better pep for lack of better terms. at the moment i get about 8 mpg highway or city. my 87 auto 4runner on 31" tires got about 17mpg or better. after researching re-gearing and what it seems to help with i decided it would be a good start to making it a little bit better of a daily driver, and a little more fun to play around with in the snow and occasional mud.

the cheaper quote from ecgs came from the website and the more expensive on this site. i am in no way bashing the company it just kind of struck me as odd that i got two different prices, the reason i sent two emails was that i sent one through here and hadnt gotten an answer in a few days so i figured they may be easier to contact on the actual website.

·
Registered
992 Posts
thats weird that you get like 8 mpg. my pickup gets like 17 with no regear and 33s.

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
the reason for wanting to change gears is to try and get better mileage and power out of the truck. it cant get out of its own way and i get passed by motorhomes going uphill to work everyday. i cant get it out of 4th gear on the highway and it tops out at about 65-70. im not looking to gain more speed, just better gas mileage and a little better pep for lack of better terms. at the moment i get about 8 mpg highway or city. my 87 auto 4runner on 31" tires got about 17mpg or better. after researching re-gearing and what it seems to help with i decided it would be a good start to making it a little bit better of a daily driver, and a little more fun to play around with in the snow and occasional mud.

the cheaper quote from ecgs came from the website and the more expensive on this site. i am in no way bashing the company it just kind of struck me as odd that i got two different prices, the reason i sent two emails was that i sent one through here and hadnt gotten an answer in a few days so i figured they may be easier to contact on the actual website.
wow, that thing should have come with at least 4.56s...some even got factory 4.88s.

·
Registered
992 Posts
can you say needs a tune-up?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
8 mpg makes me think you have engine problems. I used to have the same truck with 31s too, but with a 22R and I got ~16. and I live in the mtns.
i was thinking that may be the problem too. i want to check the timing on it and see if that may be the problem. when i bought it there was a big exhaust leak and it was missing the O2 sensor. had a whole new exhaust put on with new sensor. truck went from 6mpg to 8mpg. the previous owner replaced the head gasket so i am wondering if he messed something up in the process

·
Registered
506 Posts
Reversed some plug wires maybe and really only a 2 cyl. right now. If it runs hot that could be the issue. I did that on my 87 Cherokee V6. Thought it was same as GM firing order since it is the same engine, I was wrong.

Also the 80's 4x4's that came from factory with 31's were geared with 4.88's.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Reversed some plug wires maybe and really only a 2 cyl. right now. If it runs hot that could be the issue. I did that on my 87 Cherokee V6. Thought it was same as GM firing order since it is the same engine, I was wrong.

Also the 80's 4x4's that came from factory with 31's were geared with 4.88's.
thanks for the insight, i wll look into the wires possibly being in the wrong spots. i replaced them one at a time to make sure they werent switched around accidentally but the p/o may have had them out of whack since before i bought it. the truck runs a little rich alos. does anyone have any info on which wires go where? i am at work now so i dont have access to my haynes manual to see if the order is in there.

thanks for all the help and suggestions so far guys

1 - 20 of 38 Posts