TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, obviously I'm new to this forum. I have a 95 Standard Cab Tacoma and I've ordered the Fabtech 6" lift and plan to run 35's. I'm looking for a shop in the So Cal area to get the gearing redone. I'm in the Ontario area. I've been quoted a price from a shop in Corona and was surprised how much the bearing kits cost..they were actually more than the gear sets themselves. Is this common?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Rich
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
Sleepercivic said:
Hi All, obviously I'm new to this forum. I have a 95 Standard Cab Tacoma and I've ordered the Fabtech 6" lift and plan to run 35's. I'm looking for a shop in the So Cal area to get the gearing redone. I'm in the Ontario area. I've been quoted a price from a shop in Corona and was surprised how much the bearing kits cost..they were actually more than the gear sets themselves. Is this common?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Rich
Check out http://tandjperformance.com/ in Orange, CA. They do work. You were likely quoted a master install kit(s). They're expensive but a good idea. You might also want to think about installing a locker(s) while you're in there if you don't already have one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Good parts cost $ - especially metric bearings. Sound about right for a complete install kit ,bearings + seals + sleeve> Is the shop Drive Train Direct - if so they know their stuff and only sell quality parts. If you do not have the tools to do it, gears are pain to install. Definitly not a part you want to go cheap on. Beware of the 'lifetime' warrentee low $ gears some shops are selling - they are junk. Stick with Precision, Superior, Yukon, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got my appointment....

Well I went with Drivetrain Direct. They have to order the Limited Slilp, which they recommended the Eaton Limited Slip. Any comments on this? They are ordering it and should have it by the end of next week. I went with 4:88's, full bearing kits and the Eaton for the rear. The Fabtech 6" is next :)
 

·
Long lost Taco Owner
Joined
·
820 Posts
Sleepercivic said:
Well I went with Drivetrain Direct. They have to order the Limited Slilp, which they recommended the Eaton Limited Slip. Any comments on this? They are ordering it and should have it by the end of next week. I went with 4:88's, full bearing kits and the Eaton for the rear. The Fabtech 6" is next :)
I hope you get the lift and tires on or driving with 31's will be fun
 

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
Joined
·
18,421 Posts
Sleepercivic said:
Well I went with Drivetrain Direct. They have to order the Limited Slilp, which they recommended the Eaton Limited Slip. Any comments on this? They are ordering it and should have it by the end of next week. I went with 4:88's, full bearing kits and the Eaton for the rear. The Fabtech 6" is next :)
I believe the TRD limited slip is $199 shipped from www.trdparts4u.com
What are they charging you for the Eaton?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
Sleepercivic said:
Well I went with Drivetrain Direct. They have to order the Limited Slilp, which they recommended the Eaton Limited Slip. Any comments on this? They are ordering it and should have it by the end of next week. I went with 4:88's, full bearing kits and the Eaton for the rear. The Fabtech 6" is next :)

Where in So Cal are they? ANd if you don't mind me asking what are they charging?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Total for ring and pinion, complete bearing kits, Eaton Limited slip installed is a little over 2k. I called 4wheelparts and thye were about the same on parts and I didn't ask about labor as the salesperson I spoke to said " We don't work on them much, but I'm sure we could do it" he didn't leave me with much confidence. The lift is coming after the diffs, but other than driving it home, I won't be driving it until the lift and 35's are on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Sleepercivic said:
Total for ring and pinion, complete bearing kits, Eaton Limited slip installed is a little over 2k. I called 4wheelparts and thye were about the same on parts and I didn't ask about labor as the salesperson I spoke to said " We don't work on them much, but I'm sure we could do it" he didn't leave me with much confidence. The lift is coming after the diffs, but other than driving it home, I won't be driving it until the lift and 35's are on.
the last thing you want to do is have 4wp work on your truck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ShowStop said:
I believe the TRD limited slip is $199 shipped from www.trdparts4u.com
What are they charging you for the Eaton?
Thanks you saved me $215.00 :) The guys at drivertrain direct were very cool when I told them what I could get the diff for. I ordered it up from TRDparts4u.com and I also confirmed that they were in stock.
Thanks again for the help
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top