TTORA Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
I have never done one w/abs... And every time someone needs to work on something w/abs and I hear the horror stories I am glad I never have :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Knock on wood I haven't had any problems with my seals...and the wife's new ride just had both of them replaced.

I got my sliders painted on Monday. Bit of a challenge getting full coverage since they were on the truck, but not impossible. It was a bit messy, and I had black boogers for a while, but I think they came out great.

Need to add some grip tape to the top, they are a little slick in the morning with dew on them.

·
4,068 Posts
The PITA seals and abs ring is why Toyota switched to a unit bearing on all axles now. It contains the tone ring as well so now even a Toyota tech can't mess it up!

Now a rear bearing is over a 100 bucks instead of 20...

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Knock on wood I haven't had any problems with my seals...and the wife's new ride just had both of them replaced.

I got my sliders painted on Monday. Bit of a challenge getting full coverage since they were on the truck, but not impossible. It was a bit messy, and I had black boogers for a while, but I think they came out great.

Need to add some grip tape to the top, they are a little slick in the morning with dew on them.
looks great! Good job! But the black boogers is why they invented breathing masks :rollseyes:

I suggest the 1/2" wide grip tape you want to keep it just on the top surface w/o going around the diameter of the tube, otherwise it will keep trying to peel off.

The PITA seals and abs ring is why Toyota switched to a unit bearing on all axles now. It contains the tone ring as well so now even a Toyota tech can't mess it up!

Now a rear bearing is over a 100 bucks instead of 20...
unit bearings are all the "rave" among manufactures today! Going to Harlan last time cost me nearly $300 to change out the front on my ford! (Glad I got rid of that money trap)

Don't count on the techs being any better at changing them out. They can still find ways to screw up about anything!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Worked on the truck today and made some progress.

Sliders painted..

Changed the inner axle seal...But I think it was actually the brake line at the back of the drum leaking fluid that made me think it was the axle seal leaking. Didn't even notice it until I was bleeding the brakes and noticed I was weeping fluid at the fitting. Start to finish was an hour so no complaints here.

And made the mistake of going to a rather...questionable part of town to return my seal driver and take back all the oil I had been collecting in various containers...No questions asked

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
Should have painted the armor neon pink or lime green or something! Lol:)

You need to spray the drum back plate with brake cleaner and use some marking paint around the brake line fitting. That way if you see more fluid with color in it you know for sure where it came from

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
7 Participants
Bear
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing