TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for cap for my 96 extra cab. I have been looking around at different caps and I don’t know exactly what I want yet. I’m leaning toward the ARE caps for right now I like the looks of them the most and the side windows they have are cool. I need it for a few tings. First is for my construction company. I’m now doing a lot of service calls and sub work in malls so I need a place to keep tools secure. Second I want a place I can transport mountain bikes out of the weather. Keep gear on trips and change in to bike stuff at a trail head and change back after when the weather is bad. I also have a Yakima mega warier on my roof that I would like to move back to the cap. I’m thinking about getting the extension for it and having the hole cap and part of the cab covered with the basket so I can put ladders and bikes and general crap up there. So what are you guys using and how do you like it? Some pics would be good too.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Where were you for the pic.

AK98Taco said:
I have a Range Rider canopy in the Cruiser series. It has done very well for me. Carries a bike, keeps stuff secure, and has survived some nasty trails in Moab.

Here's a picture: http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-4/155437/canopy.jpg
Off topic, but where was that pic taken? Looks like you were in hell or something...

I don't own a cap, but I've been looking at LEER because the also have the "windoor" option like BajaTaco has on his website. It's a real neat option in my opinion.

Cheers,
P

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
P1michaud said:
Off topic, but where was that pic taken? Looks like you were in hell or something...

I don't own a cap, but I've been looking at LEER because the also have the "windoor" option like BajaTaco has on his website. It's a real neat option in my opinion.

Cheers,
P

That’s what I liked too. I just like the lines on the ARE caps more. And my local dealer told me the Yakima tracks would only be $100 more.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Go with the ARE, thats what Baja-taco has. From what I've read, Leers quality ahs dropped in recent years. I've heard much good about the ARE's. I scored a cap used from a canadian company called Raider (they ahve a website). I like the one I have, and i believe they also offer something similar to the win-door. Being in PA, you might be able to find a dealer relatively close.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
P1michaud said:

Cheers,
P
That picture was taken at one of the areas of Little Moab in central/western Utah. The pictures are kind of erie because of the dense fog and thus poor lighting.

Here are some full pictures:
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-4/155437/LittleMoabflex.jpg
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-4/155437/P1010004.jpg

I considered the LEER canopies, but heard some bad things about them, like leaking. When I went to a local accessories dealer to look at caps, I saw one that really caught my eye, and it was one that the dealer actually recommended to me. He said that I needed framed windows because I had a lifted truck. Apparently the frameless windows lack rigidity, especially when you put them atop a high COG.

I know a Tacoma guy with one of the side-window flip canopies and it is really slick, but I just can't handle all of those locks. Two is enough for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts