TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I am about to put a new exhaust on my truck and wanted to get new headers also. I am having a hard time finding them and didn't know if anyone could offer some advice to help out. Thanks

Greg

·
Registered
836 Posts
It would help if you gave your truck specs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey all,

Just saw the forums. Looking at doing some stuff to my truck. Got a 2001 Tacoma, 2.7L with a 3inch spacer and add a leaf, with 285/75 R16s BF Goodrich All Terrain's. K&N Cold air intake. Looking at doing a bunch of other stuff. Love off roading and looking for folks that go out also. I am also looking for folks that have engine mods and can help in advice on mods. Will post some PIC's when I can.

Currently in the Navy and living in Virginia Beach.

Greg. :suicide:
Welcome to TTORA Greg...

Found his specs from his 1st post. I might have a used set of 2.7L Downey headers in the garage. I'll look for the headers tonite & let you know what's up.

Patrick

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Patrick

That would be great. Just let me know if you were able to find them. If you can just shoot me a PM and I will get you my info and let me know how much you want for them.

If anyone knows a good website to check out that would be great. I looked on Sumit and didn't see anything.

Thanks again

Greg

·
Registered
779 Posts

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
1,114 Posts
I have not seen many happy Downey headers customers. just My observation. www.lcengineering.com
check them out!!! they make a lot of great performance products for the 3RZ-FE

·
Registered
270 Posts
I haven't seen too many happy downey customers either. I think I've heard at least 2 or 3 people on this forum that have had downey headers fail or crack. go with LC, you they're a little more, but you get what you pay for

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,519 Posts
Hey I am about to put a new exhaust on my truck and wanted to get new headers also. I am having a hard time finding them and didn't know if anyone could offer some advice to help out. Thanks

Greg
Is this for a 2.7L Tacoma? 2001 model as noted in your sig? If so, check to see if you have a front cat that has a 45° inlet pipe. If so, you cant use the LCE headers since they aren't compatible with that exhaust style. Actually, I'm not aware of any headers that are compatible with that style without custom exhaust work.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea I am getting ready to get a hole new exhaust done. I will look at the LC place and see what they got. Thanks for all the help from everyone.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yea I am getting ready to get a hole new exhaust done. I will look at the LC place and see what they got. Thanks for all the help from everyone.
Why not CHECK THIS OUT - might be a good alternative!

John

·
Registered
682 Posts
Go with Downey if you want a product that looks (and fits) like some mentally challenged high school kid welded it with his feet. Seriously, it truly is a complete waste of money, here's why:

1. Slip-fit collector uses an exhaust clamp, it leaks. Like crazy.
2. Collector is wrong length and wrong angle
3. EGR flange is wrong length, angle and rotated 20* out of phase with the EGR tube (heat and bend will be necessary)
4. Welding splatter all over the place, even on the mating surface.
5. Supplied catalytic converter gasket is incorrectly sized.
6. o2 sensor flange is angled wrong and places it too close to heat shield.
7. You will have to un-bolt your entire exhaust system in the hopes of creating enough slack to join the collector to the cat. Have fun.

After fighting it for about 6 months, I ended up cutting and re-welding everything to position it correctly until I purchased my LCE header, which recently cracked...

Downey might make a decent header for the 22R series motors, but the ones they produce for the 3RZ's are absolute junk.

·
Registered
779 Posts
very true Phil, I was talking about v6 before I knew what engine he had... the LC headers seemto be good on the 3rz-fe.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts