TTORA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a 1999 Tacoma SR5 Xcab with the TRD package. Its my first truck and have been using it for what it was made for fairly regularly. I love the way the TRD suspension (Bilstein) handles both on and off road, but am looking to put a 2.5" lift on it to make more room for some BFG 32x11.5 R15 A/T and some custom rock sliders. Have been trying to research best way to lift without stiffening up my ride. Don't know what works best for what I am looking for: coil-overs, spacers, total suspension lift kit, shackles, blocks, or what ever else thats out there. Don't really have the funds to go wild with mods either, but am willing to invest. Would love some tips, hints, and suggestions. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
spacers-stiffen up the ride up to 3"
Drop down bracket-like stock 5-6"
coilovers-0-3" rides great on road and off but expensive

for the rear
shackles-cheap way to lift the rear...need longer shocks
AAL-cheap also..but will stiffen up the ride..need longer shocks
blocks-cheap...but they are refer as the devil...axle wrap increases...need longer shocks
full leafpack-best choice...but expensive compare to those 3

it's all around what u plan to do with ur truck...and how much money you have...
also...regearing is something you should think about..if you have a 2.7L engin...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Portman said:
I have just bought a 1999 Tacoma SR5 Xcab with the TRD package. Its my first truck and have been using it for what it was made for fairly regularly. I love the way the TRD suspension (Bilstein) handles both on and off road, but am looking to put a 2.5" lift on it to make more room for some BFG 32x11.5 R15 A/T and some custom rock sliders. Have been trying to research best way to lift without stiffening up my ride. Don't know what works best for what I am looking for: coil-overs, spacers, total suspension lift kit, shackles, blocks, or what ever else thats out there. Don't really have the funds to go wild with mods either, but am willing to invest. Would love some tips, hints, and suggestions. Thanks!!!
Well, to start I would have to say that any lift for the front that is not a drop bracket lift that maintains the same suspension geometry is going to stiffen your ride. Spacers will preload your springs, thus stiffening your ride. Coilovers that are adjustable preload the spring making them stiffer. Although the ride quality from the nicer coilovers from Donahoe Camburg....ect will greatly improve your offroad and onroad handling. For the rear, add a leafs, blocks, shackles or a new leaf pack is the only way to get your lift. The aal and some of the aftermarket leaf packs will stiffen your ride, but the aftermarket leaf packs are well worth the extra money in my opinion. If you wanted to keep the same ride, you could always do a small shackle lift. Most modifications are gonna have there draw backs and plus's, I would say lifting your truck should be the main thing you should look at even if it does stiffen the ride. :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would a small shackle lift be something that would change both the front and rear of my truck?

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
Portman said:
Well If you like your suspension and how it rides and want to fit 32's, why not throw a 2" RB bodylift on it and call it good? Less than a c-note and some labor. http://www.4crawler.com/ Look for custom bodylifts..don't get lost in there.

That with the removal of the front mud flaps will actually clear the 32's better than a 3" suspension lift.

·
Not really here...
3,013 Posts
Portman said:
Would a small shackle lift be something that would change both the front and rear of my truck?
A shackle lift is for the rear, not the front. So no, it wouldn't change your front. Go take a look at the front and rear suspension of your truck. You'll notice it's two completely different types of suspension. That means completely different types of lift for each. Check out the link in the post above (post #6). That will get you started and educate you a little more about your truck, and the available lift options.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts