TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 12,000lbs winch from my Dad and decided to use it on a receiver carrier so that I don't have to haul it around all the time. This sucker is heavy. Bathroom scale said 93lbs! I got the CBI front hitch mount, ran Warn quick connect plugs to the front and rear and wanted a place to mount it out of sight when not using it and to avoid approach/departure angle issues. I bolted a bumper mount receiver plate into the bed and use a locking hitch pin to help prevent theft. On the underside of the bed I used a 1/4 piece of plate steel that is 12" wide and 5" deep. I wanted to spread out the stress on the bed. I guess my question is how strong is the composite bed? There is the normal play in the receiver tube and I am concerned that when bouncing down the trail or trying to clear a obstacle all that weight moving around in the tube could crack the bed. I do plan on getting some synthetic winch line which should save me about 30lbs but I just want to be on the safe side with my new truck haha. I included some pictures and any input or experience would be much appreciated.

·
NVTTORA Pres. 社長
696 Posts
Hard to tell by the pics but if you drilled the bed and sandwiched it with a steel plate on the underside of the composite bed, I'd say that's a recipe for destruction.

Suggestion, sell it and by an appropriate sized winch (4 ton) and bolt it on the front of your truck. Reinventing the wheel only makes for a ruff ride

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I can think of a few guys that have broken the beds. One was showing how tough they were and hit it with a sledge, which of course went right through. The others broke them in the corners from overloading them. For storage, I think you are fine, but would expect it to crack on the edges of the plate if you do a lot of washboard roads. Even if it does crack it's nothing you can't fix with some epoxy and fiberglass.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking the same thing. I will just have to take it easy when its mounted back there. It feels really strong, but there is no give in that type of bed. it wont just bend a little. It will just break.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone else have experience with the bed breaking or cracking due to bolting things to the bed?

Paul
Another guy over on TacomaWorld has the same exact setup as me, mounted the same except he used two 2" x 12" strips of metal as washers to mount the winch, and i just used the one 5" x 12" plate. He has used this setup for years and wheeled the truck hard with no issues at all. I even PM'ed him to look at this post I started and asked his opinions. If you back it with a strong large piece you will be just fine. The "bed cracking" issues I have seen have never been a result of mounting something to it. Only from caps and really hard "hits" to the truck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts