TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a little alligator style air compressor made by smittybuilt take about 30-40 minutes to air my 35/12.50 inch tires from 8psi to 32. has anyone delt with a airtank that they maybe fill up at home to 130 psi and use that to fill all 4 tires up to say 25 psi and the compressor to fill the rest of the way. my 33 gal garage compressor filled to 150 max will fill all my tires from 8-35psi in about 7 minutes with out needing to be turned on, naturally im not gonna haul my big ass compressor around with me wheelin, just curious to get someons opinion wether a 10gal tank or 20 gal tank would be worth it to mount under the bed or just throw in the bed with out taking up to much room. i dont want t0 go buy one find out i could use a little bigger one for what i need. i dont want to tap into my a/c compressor or buy a expensive 400 dollar compressor

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
a 10# CO2 tank works very well for 33s. I used to get 3-4 trips out of a tank including filling up others' tires.
I have a 15# for my 35s but a 20# is more common.

·
4,068 Posts
I have an MV-50 tied to a 7 gallon tank with a 100/120 psi pressure switch. Takes about 5 minutes to air up my 35/12.5/17's from 12 psi to 30 psi.

I've got another MV-50 Iam gonna add into the mix here soon...

·
Registered
197 Posts
A co2 tank is the cheapest way to go. I picked mine up for free from a restaurants kitchen. Just watch the dates on them as they expire after a few years. I upgraded to onboard air and haven't looked back since.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
A co2 tank is the cheapest way to go. I picked mine up for free from a restaurants kitchen. Just watch the dates on them as they expire after a few years. I upgraded to onboard air and haven't looked back since.
The date is just a hydrotest. Any CO2 shop or Fire Extinquisher service place should be able to re-hydro test the bottle. It's about 30 bucks.

I have an MV-50 tied to a 7 gallon tank with a 100/120 psi pressure switch. Takes about 5 minutes to air up my 35/12.5/17's from 12 psi to 30 psi.

I've got another MV-50 Iam gonna add into the mix here soon...
5 minutes for all of them? I don't see how that's possible

a 10# CO2 tank works very well for 33s. I used to get 3-4 trips out of a tank including filling up others' tires.
I have a 15# for my 35s but a 20# is more common.
Werd. I went with a 20lb because I didn't want to make extra trips to get the tank filled. 20 bucks to fill the tank too and it lasts a long time :cool:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Its hard to beat a CO2 tank as far as speed goes.

VIAIR makes really nice electric pumps, not as affordable as the MV-50 but they are well made and reliable, their kits (systems) include most of the parts (fittings, pressure switches, wiring) that one would have to source for an electric OBA, so its not a bad deal at all.

The highest performance pumps that I am aware of are York compressors, essentially belt driven air compressors.

I have a MV-50 hardwired with a 3 gallon tank........ its pretty fast, I can air up four 35" to about 30psi in 15-20 minutes. I think I was in about $75 by time I purchased a relay for an in dash switch on/ off switch, a pressure switch, wiring and fittings.

Wally

·
Registered
36 Posts
To all that love the CO2 tanks: how many fill ups would equal a good compressor?
Why hassle with logging a tank around, loading it, securing it, etc etc when you can have a compresor mounted.

Just my 2 cents :)

I used a Warn compressor from a previous Chevy build in my Tacoma.
Mounted it in the tool box:

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
To all that love the CO2 tanks: how many fill ups would equal a good compressor?
Why hassle with logging a tank around, loading it, securing it, etc etc when you can have a compresor mounted.

I had and still have a compressor before I had CO2. The time saved airing up alone is the motivation for ditching the compressor.
As for lugging the tank around... buy a hose duh. You load it in the truck when it gets filled and unload it when its empty. Secure it in a simple bracket (similar to the one you used for your compressor setup).

Compressors are much much more expensive, and you have to maintain them. If you run a tank that you can just swap out when empty, there is no maintenance cost associated with owning it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have an MV90. It's a little bigger and faster than the MV50 (puts out about 1 more CFM). I've been happy with it. It takes about 3 minutes per tire to air up 33s from ~12 to 35 psi. I don't have it hard mounted with a tank yet, but I plan to. CO2 seems to be a lot faster, but refilling the tank is a pain for me.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
I have an MV90. It's a little bigger and faster than the MV50 (puts out about 1 more CFM). I've been happy with it. It takes about 3 minutes per tire to air up 33s from ~12 to 35 psi. I don't have it hard mounted with a tank yet, but I plan to. CO2 seems to be a lot faster, but refilling the tank is a pain for me.
i have the same one. its works good, but hates the cold with a passion:rolleyes:

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts

Well, lets look at it this way. I'll leave the air hose and the air chuck out of the equation, because you need that anyways with a compressor/tank setup...

20lb Aluminum CO2 tank (Empty) - 110 bucks
Co2 Fixed regulator - 40 bucks
CO2 tank bracket - 50 bucks
Initial Fill - 20 bucks
Total - 220 dollars

Compared to a compressor setup:
Viair setup - 320 bucks for a Medium Duty 2.5 gallon setup
370 for Heavy Duty
400 for constant duty (if you want something that can somewhat run an air tool)

A hydrotest is good for 4 years. A hydrotest is done for 30 bucks. If you wheel 6 times a year and have 35X12.5 R15 tires, you'll fill the tank every 1 years or so if you have a 20lb tank and you increase the pressure by 20psi at each tire. So that means every 4th fillup, you will need a hydrotest.

So after 4 years of owning the tank, you would have spent 220 for the initial setup that's full, and after fillings and a hydrotest, you come out to 310.

That really isn't too bad considering I never had to spend a weekend wiring or mounting anything, AND each time I wheel, I fillup quickly, and I can run air tools with zero issues.

I'll take a minute to unload and load a tank if it means I can fill up my 35" tire from 10 psi to 30 in about 40 seconds...

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a Power Tank that has been sitting on the shelf for years. Yes it's fast at filling up tires. 20-30 bucks to fill and when it's out your SOL.

Everyone has their preference. :)

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
I have a Power Tank that has been sitting on the shelf for years. Yes it's fast at filling up tires. 20-30 bucks to fill and when it's out your SOL.

Everyone has their preference. :)
Weigh the tank before you head out. Each tank has a tare weight on it. The tare weight is when the tank is empty. A full tank will be whatever size the tank is + the tare weight...

-Phill

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
I'm not one to rely upon a single air resource to cover my ass...

sooo... in addition to my 10lb co2 tank...
I always carry my trustworthy (but slow) MV-50

In fact... when I'm not in a hurry...
I am satisfied with simply using my MV-50...
and saving my co2 for emergencies and other hurry up offense.

Build whatever floats yer boat...
but... having back up... will one day... save yer ass :2cents:

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have only ran out of air twice with my CO2 tank. Once when I had the 20# and was selling it to someone here.(not a good way to demo by the way) Then again was a Takeover last year and had been filling a lot of tires for people. Once again with my 10#tank because I left the hose hooked up and forgot to shut the valve off. A slow leak in the chuck and next time I went out, empty. I pay $11 per fill up of my 10# every 4-5 trips. As Dell said it is good to have back up and I plan on putting in a Viar system with 2.5g tank 100% duty cycle compressor.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts