TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey does anyone have any imput on early to mid 90s 4 runner. Going to be looking soon for one. Do they all have the back end sag? Also witch year has been the most trouble free and a all around great suv. GOing to be my wifes. So it needs to be some what chick friendly. :

·
Registered
429 Posts
I believe the mid 90's have the 3.0L engine. This engine had some head gasket problems. There was a recall from Toyota. I have heard of people not having problems after having Toyota replace the head gasket. I am pretty sure the 90's style 4Runners are the ones that have rear end sag. I have seen helper springs for these vehicles in Performance Products magazine. Not sure what year was the most trouble free. Check Consumer Reports magazine. :D Hope I have been of some help.

Kurt

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
4Runner

blackoctober2002 said:
Hey does anyone have any imput on early to mid 90s 4 runner. Going to be looking soon for one. Do they all have the back end sag? Also witch year has been the most trouble free and a all around great suv. GOing to be my wifes. So it needs to be some what chick friendly. :
I'd say try and get 1 w/ a 3.4 in it, that way you've actually got something w/ a lil power. The older 22R's and 22RE's are dogs, the 3.0 is way under powered and plus like the other guy said, they're prone to blowin' headgaskets. I've heard of ppl having problems even after Toyota replaced the headgaskets. Then again, I've heard of ppl not having a problem. I had a 90 P/U w/ a 3.0 5spd, it was ok, but even compared to a 2.7 Tacoma it was slow. I'd say try and get a 96' and up. The 22RE's are very reliable though, you're just not gonna be able to find anything w/ descently low mileage. Good luck, Wes

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
I had a 92 4Runner with the infamous 3.0 V6. I say "infamous" because it blew a head gasket not once, but twice, even after Toyota replaced it (for free) with its "latest, more improved" gasket. After the 1st free replacement, Toyota refused to foot the bill the 2nd time around, meaning I would've had to pay about $1500 to have it replaced - about the same as if I had replaced it with a used engine with half the miles. It also developed a valve cover leak. So I promptly traded it in on the Tacoma I have now.

Other than the disappointing 3.0, it was a decent truck. The frame is thicker than a Tacoma's, and the front CV axle is also a bit thicker and stronger than a Tacoma's. Unlike the strut suspension of the Tacoma, it uses a torsion bar up front - which gives it more room to use slightly beefier CV axles than the Tacoma's, but at the same time makes lifting the front a bit harder. Be that as it may, it's still a bit easier and cheaper to do an SAS on the older 4Runners than it is on a Tacoma. It's also alot easier and much cheaper to do a manual hub swap on an ADD equipped older 4Runner than it is to do on a Tacoma ($120 vs. $1000), although those cone washers were a little tough to remove from the hub. And speaking of ADD, stay away from any older IFS 4Runners with auto hubs (not to be confused with ADD - automatic disconnect differential). The older auto hubs are not the same as the ADD hubs and were prone to cause problems. Unfortunately, I don't know which years had them (or even if they were offered on 4Runners [as opposed to 4x4 trucks]), nor do I know if they can be swapped out for the manual hubs, but I do know that ADD came later once Toyota realized its auto hubs were somewhat problematic.

As for the rear, mine sagged too, but they all seem to sag for some reason. Downey and a few other outfits offer rear lift coil springs to fix that problem.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Ed, pretty sure that the autolocking hubs were only on 84's, and maybe some 85's.....it didn't Toyota long to figure out how farked up they were.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Murderman said:
Ed, pretty sure that the autolocking hubs were only on 84's, and maybe some 85's.....it didn't Toyota long to figure out how farked up they were.
Good info to know. For some reason I thought they were offered in the late 80's IFS Toy 4x4s.

And just to add one more thing about my old 92 4Runner, I never had a problem with the ADD. Only reason I switched to manual hubs is because I heard it helped save a bit on gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Ed, how much was the mileage differential? The reason that I ask is that I have been after the manual hub conversion since I bought my Tundra.

As you probably know, it is a bit more complicated than a Taco swap, since the Tundra has never been available manual and the axleshafts are different length than the Taco parts I plan to use.....and the outers are a major PITA to separate without total distruction!

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Murderman said:
Ed, how much was the mileage differential? The reason that I ask is that I have been after the manual hub conversion since I bought my Tundra.

As you probably know, it is a bit more complicated than a Taco swap, since the Tundra has never been available manual and the axleshafts are different length than the Taco parts I plan to use.....and the outers are a major PITA to separate without total distruction!
If I remember correctly, I went from 16-17 mpg to 17-18 mpg on the highway. I would guess that it may not be worth the mileage savings, if any, if you have to spend almost $1000 in parts to swap everything out, though. But if you're looking to do it because of increased CV axles from a lift, then I guess it should be worth it.

Take care amigo,

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
My motivations are more wear reduction motivated rather than mileage improvement, but I'll gladly accept the latter if it comes along with the deal. I don't think I'll be in for quite $1000 if I can get my hands on the right used parts.

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
1,114 Posts
till 1995, you would probsble just find the 3.0, barely enough power IMO
I am always looking for a 1996-2000 which added the 3.4 5VZ-FE, a better powerplant for a heavy 4-runner, plus the interior is nicer and newer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts